PDA

View Full Version : Sizing with V3i

msviking
03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
I am two months into using a V3i and love it! I am a techie and have enjoyed learning the machine and it's capabilities. One area that I seems to be giving me trouble is accurately sizing objects during analyze. My ability to correlate the data displayed to any usable information is quite lacking. I am wondering if I am missing something or maybe expecting to much. Are you guys able to obtain valid sizing data? and if so how?

Thanks
Robert in MS

freemindstuck
03-10-2013, 11:25 PM
I size the target while pinpointing. Turn VCO on and if you're using the stock 10 DD move the coil side to side. Turn 90 degrees and repeat. This procedure plus the depth of the target will give you an idea of the size with practice.

msviking
03-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the reply. The method you describe is basically what I do now, but in my test garden I am not able tell a significant / discernible difference on different sized objects? I guess I need more practice. Even on a quarter on the surface, as I rotate 90 degrees variances in my swing speed cause wide fluctuations in my feel for the size.

del
03-26-2013, 12:13 AM
I don't know if your v3i has this capability but should since its very similar to the dfx in a lot of ways. I know on my dfx i can pinpoint off to one side with V.C.O. on an move the coil over to hear how loud it gets when i'm over it but on my machine i can pinpoint again while i'm over it to tell (somewhat accurately but depth does play a part in this ) generally how big a target it . for example if my target disappears completely on the second pinpoint then i know its a very small target smaller than a coin in size and mass , if the target almost disappears and is very hard to get over with the coil its about coin-size up to a half dollar in size. if the target is still pretty easy to locate after my second pinpoint it usually about the size of a soda can end or bigger , remember depth of the target will influence this some but on your first pinpoint you should get a good indication of depth on the target to go by.

Dan

Mort
04-04-2013, 08:45 PM
:detecting: Don't rely on that sizing graft its not always true..I've had my machine now for a year.
I hunt most everyday here all year in So Cal Use the Polar Plot for checking things before you dig ..but remember its not much help if the object is over 6 inches.

But do listen to the tones and look at the vid's that is what you want not the sizing..

The tones are very important.

Good hunt
Mort