PDA

View Full Version : Mar 11, 2013 Digs...

CTDirtFisher
03-11-2013, 06:40 PM
It was 52 here in CT today... Being as I have to be in NYC tomorrow for 8 hours added with 6+ hours of travel my director said I could go dig this afternoon :-)

So off to Indian Park I headed... I really do need to do an official total, but I named this little park Indian Park as I've netted 50+ indians from this location...

Might be 60+ *shrug* and tonight was no dissapointment... This is not all fun and games.. Low income houseing on one side... Package Store and Cheap Chinese food on the other... The park is littered with a gazillion nip, pint, and 40oz caps... Its a pretty steady steam in the afternoon toting brown paper bags and asking what did I find... or telling me if I find gold they lost it...

All that being said... I've been hitting this park for 3+ years... Size wise... its 2-2.5 acres... and cherry picking well... that boat sailed 2+ years ago... There are still goodes here, but I either pick a small spot and dig every signal to unmask what lies below, or go sooooooo slooooooow I can get a few keepers between all the junk...

today was low and slow method... targets were pretty thin for the 1st 90 minues except for this seal...

[attachimg=1]

30 minutes later I got my 1st wheatie from about 5 1913... and 5 minutes later... 10-35 @ 6-7 all by its self... I was pretty sure this was going to be an Indian Head... I dug a full deep plug and when I flipped over the dirt I could see a round coin imprint...

1904 Indian Head Penny...

[attachimg=2]

This IH was pretty clean in the hole...

Next I dug a few 4-5 zinc pennies thinking they might be IH and the 2nd one unmasked a 12/44 signal @ 6 for me...

1944 D Mercury Dime

[attachimg=3]

over the next 60 minutes I got one more wheatie (1918) and then a conductive 40-41 signal at 3-4 and I was hoping it was a wheatie but think it was to shallow... It was amongst the trash and I stabbed this on in the face...

1905 Indian Head Penny... I was not expecting this, but occassionally Indians can jump up to a higher conductive tone...

[attachimg=4]

It was a fun 4 hours... A merc, 2 IH's, 2 Wheaties from the teens, and a lead seal for keepers...

[attachimg=5]

Respectfully,
CTDirtFisher - Paul

Tony Two-Cent
03-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Terrific finds, Paul! Wow, those Indian Heads are gorgeous! :loveit:

It looks like they were brand new when they were dropped too, full LIBERTY on the headbands! Nice Merc too.

I really like the lead seal as well. Is it from the B&amp:daydream: Railroad? Hard to tell.

Congrats on another wonderful hunt! |:cheering:

z118
03-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Those are some nice digs! I'm envious of the kind soil everyone else seems to have. Seems the few IH's I do stumble across are almost always corroded and toasted. Not like those sweet beauties you've dug! Congrats!

Rob L
03-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Great hunt! Those Indian heads look to be in nice condition. That park must have a lot more goodies. I can't believe that there is no snow in Conn. Up here in Mass we still have about one and one half feet. Its going pretty fast, but not fast enough. Congrats on your finds.

Skamaniac
03-11-2013, 11:32 PM
I am officially impressed! :congrats:

CODY
03-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Wow, thats some nice coins. :congrats:

aloldstuff
03-13-2013, 07:26 AM
:congrats: on some nice keepers. Great looking IH's and some nice early wheats.

starman2
03-14-2013, 05:49 PM
:congrats: on some nice finds! The IH's are in great shape! WTG!! Going :bananadance: here in Mich. The ground is still not thawed enough. I can get about 3 inches. And thats about it. Back to cement.