PDA

View Full Version : archaeology

roamingusa
03-11-2013, 06:45 PM
:confused: hello all. I asked some one i knew to be an archaeologist about a find i had and this guy rambled on and on about indian mounds and all kinds of stuff i was kinda stunned about the can of worms i had opened and didnt pay attn. to much about what he was saying i just knew by the time i walked away i felt bad that i even bought a detector, what is going on with archaeologist?

Lowjiber
03-12-2013, 05:48 AM
While some archaeologists are changing, the vast majority remain similar to your friend. They carry the idea that anyone who is not an archaeologist has to be an idiot.

Those may seem harsh words, but I've never met one that I could stand to be around for over five minutes.

del
03-12-2013, 06:19 AM
yes unfortunately the general concensus of archaeologists still look down and consider us relic site robbers or artefact stealers . Some of us hobbyists have donated time and our skills to help in building better relations with archaeologists but its a long road to break down the animosity and suspicion both sides have had for decades .

Dan

freemindstuck
03-12-2013, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't feel to bad. Paleontologist look down on fossil hunters as well, even though many important discoveries are made by amateur fossil hunters. And if people don't save fossils they erode away and are lost forever. I think it is just jealousy. It is the same with many relics. If they aren't dug up they will eventually rust away. If archeologist were smart as they think they are, they would educate metal detectorist on the correct way to document their finds. I personally mark the gps coordinates, take pictures and make site maps as well as label my finds. And if archeologist don't like what I do they can stuff it. lol

RobW
03-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Being that only a extremely small fraction of things that archeologists find are ever seen again, as they end up in storage rooms, never to be seen..they might as well be still buried in the dirt.

At least with what I find, it is seen, and enjoyed.

Fire Fighter 43
03-13-2013, 09:08 PM
I just purchased this book, I've wanted it since it was published but until now was too expensive. If you can believe it, it was selling for over $400 at one point.
http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Detecting-Archaeology-Heritage-Matters/dp/1843834154
I purchased it because I'm in the early stages of working with an Archeologist here in WI. He approached me after we met about helping with a site he is planning on digging once all the details are worked out. I'm very excited about this opportunity to work with one of the more respected Archeologist in WI. I just hope that it works out for both of us. Ill keep everyone posted.
We need to stay positive, follow our code of ethics and look for opprotunites to make a change. I'm sure the US archeologist are aware of what has happened in the UK with the Treasure Act. The Detectorist have basically rewritten their history by some of the discoveries. Hopefully the US will catch on someday.

RaZR
03-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Being that only a extremely small fraction of things that archeologists find are ever seen again, as they end up in storage rooms, never to be seen..they might as well be still buried in the dirt.

At least with what I find, it is seen, and enjoyed.

Don't be stealing civil war history by digging up that three ringer and hiding it in your house! It's not like there are hundreds of them in boxes on shelves of warehouses belonging to museums all over the country. Under the crate of dinosaur bones that has the old set of armour on top of it.
If they ever make a pull tab museum i'll stop digging those up so the Arkeeologists can find em. :peace:

tanacat
03-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Geez, just because we don't want to sit in one spot for hours dusting with a paintbrush :rolleyes: I do love archaeology and respect the slow process w/ a special historical site but really enjoy the immediate gratification of detecting.

i just knew by the time i walked away i felt bad that i even bought a detector, what is going on with archaeologist?

I had the same thing happen to me when I started detecting. I asked permission to hunt an archeologists yard (didn't know until I told her I was a treasure hunter) lol She got a bit uppity and said they really frown on that term... but she let me detect anyway and I found my first mercs (3 of them!) and an old Tootsy toy that I gave her (she grew up there and might have been hers).