PDA

View Full Version : Sunday's finds - Wheaties and IH's

xzlr8n
04-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Went to a old farm house and plowed field site today with my friend Don. He is friends with the farmer and rec'd permission to hunt a bunch of properties the family owns. The day started out slow but got a lot better by the end of the hunt. We did the plowed field first and this is where I found the large copper A's all folded up. I thought they were trashed and was a surprised to find out how big they were. I thought the big A's were possibly silver coins from the way my V3 hit on them. Rest of the finds for a while were Memorials and then a quarter, dime here and there. Finds started coming once we went around the owners farm house. First find here was a 1903 IH. Then the wheats started popping up some real close to one another. Suprise find was the 1918 Wheat and 1889 IH stuck to one another, you can see the contact mark in one of the pics. The best find for the day is a 1911-D Wheat, lower mintage that books for $6 in G-4 condition and is my best wheat $$ wise to date. I'm sure its worth 1 cent rofl. Had fun and the V3 was working well, still learning too. Also found a crumpled sterling silver spoon marked J. HOLLISTER - PURE COIN, nice pece of silver weight wise.

CTDirtFisher
04-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Nice digs... we had very similar days... 9 wheats each... you had 2 IH I had 3... Looks like we both had an IH + a Wheat in the same hole... What are the Odds :-)

HH!
Paul

xzlr8n
04-18-2010, 08:32 PM
one more pic.

angellionel
04-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I love those old wheats, and that 1911-D is sweet! The IHs are great too. thumbsup01

coinnut
04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Nice condition wheats and Indians! Some really early dates too. Great site with lots of potential. Hope you can get back there for some more hunts. I love the spoon and I think it's older than your coins. Not sure why I think that though, lol I just do. That name should be easily ID'd for a production year (or years). Sounds like a fun hunt. thumbsup01

hoser
04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Nice digs for sure. I really love that green patina on the IH's. Good going on the wheaties. thumbsup01

coinnut
04-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey Xzlr8n, Does that silver spoon say J Hollister? If so, it could be the American silver smith listed here as Julius Hollister Oswego N.Y. Founded in 1846, out of business 1905. If that is the one, I would put it closer to 1846 than 1905.

http://www.silvercollection.it/AMERICANSILVERMARKSHDUE.html

xzlr8n
04-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Coinnut that is the guy. I'm from Owego not Oswego, NY, it would have been nice if the guy was from my home town. One website listed his residence towards the end of his life as Owego:huh: That was according to census at the time (typo ??). I'll have to look into it someday. Thanks for the research update.

Epi-hunter
04-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Great finds, and those coppers come out of the ground in great shape! Congrats on the low mintage wheat... also great shape.

ProPointer
04-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Great finds thumbsup01

It's cool how the patina on the IH and the wheat are almost the same shape..