PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER COPPER * DAY 2 WITH THILTZY AT SAME CELLAR HOLES

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-17-2013, 05:58 PM
well Todd & me deciding to spend another day up at these 2 sites.was hard to match yesterdays hunt but we gave it our best effort,i got a 1853 braided hair LC in the hole with iron,mens wedding band(no marks inside) which i thought was brass but it's some white metal almost like tombac material.same as my shoe buckle yesterday.same white non magnetic type metal.it's not pewter.my only guess is tombac metal :confused:
a tombac button,a shield nickel that i thought was gonna be a IH.look at the wheat penny on top of nickel for size reference.so close in diameter it threw me for a loop while cleaning it.never expected this to be a shield nickel.some iron relics.a hinge pintle and a old cowbell.
for the nature shot.amazing how this plant can grow on a rock with no dirt and hardly & no water source?

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-17-2013, 05:59 PM
more pics

Tony Two-Cent
03-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Looks like another fun day of cellar hole hunting, Dave!

Last year when I found my first shield nickel I noticed that they are smaller in diameter than other nickels. In fact, when it first came out of the hole I didn't think it was a nickel because it looked too small. When I got home I looked it up and discovered that shield nickels are 20.5mm in diameter and all other later nickels are 21.2mm diameter.

The date is almost visible on yours. Is it 186:eyebrow:

Very nice colonial relics and great photos, as always!

|:cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Looks like another fun day of cellar hole hunting, Dave!

Last year when I found my first shield nickel I noticed that they are smaller in diameter than other nickels. In fact, when it first came out of the hole I didn't think it was a nickel because it looked too small. When I got home I looked it up and discovered that shield nickels are 20.5mm in diameter and all other later nickels are 21.2mm diameter.

The date is almost visible on yours. Is it 186:eyebrow:

Very nice colonial relics and great photos, as always!

|:cheering:

thanks Tony!
boy your eyes are better than mine.186:eyebrow: im not sure..if you say it is..then thats what it is 1868!
yeah its alot smaller than the newer nickles.thats why i was figuring fatty IH

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Tony i looked at it under the loop and it appears to be a 1869.
hey Dan,what do you think about the white metal of this ring and the shoe buckle from the previous hunt?
neither are brass and they are not pewter.tombac material? :confused:

aloldstuff
03-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Dave, nice keepers. I have yet to get a shield nickel, :congrats: on yours.