PDA

View Full Version : Finally! First finds of the year

Sal66
03-19-2013, 12:56 AM
|:cheering: Hey everyone ! As you know I don't get out too much lately but with the Snow that came tonight I decided to get out for a bit. I visited a spot that I have permission to detect since last year that used to be a Potato Farm, so I was told by the owner of the field. I went down to the field to check it out to find that they were digging up a large portion of field for reasons I can't say. I was going to wait a few weeks but seeing freshly dug dirt mounds and with like I said, 2-4 inches of Snow coming, I decided to detect for an hour despite the cold. Here's my take for the one hour and I'm sure there's plenty more to come. One 1902 IH, 1912 Barber Dime and a Silver Broach or so I think. It isn't marked so maybe it isn't. The coins got me happy but when I saw the Broach I did was doing this inside :happy:
I didn't want to catch the attention of the worker's so I just quietly slid it in my pouch until I got home . I'm not sure how old it is, so any input will be appreciated.
Now I can't wait for this bad Four Letter Word to melt so I can get back down there. >:#

Ill Digger
03-19-2013, 01:06 AM
Not too shabby for the first finds of the new year Sal! |:cheering:
Congrats! :grin:
You know if you found that in just 1 hour..... imagine how you'll do with a little more time to :detecting: :drool:
Heck! If they're digging with a machine, you should be able to get out there even after the snow comes. :yes: thumbsup01
GL & HH :groovy:

skribnodsister
03-19-2013, 04:13 AM
:wow: very nice first hunt of the year! :peace: Can't wait to get out there myself :frozen: ! Congrats on your finds and I hope the brooch turns out to be Silver for you!

aloldstuff
03-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Certainly glad to see you getting out. Some nice keepers for only 1 hour. :congrats:
I am leaning toward the 40's for that broach.

POKIE73
03-19-2013, 09:02 AM
congrats on getting out and making some finds ill bet it feels good to get back into it i know i can hardly wait myself dennis

Tony Two-Cent
03-19-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm glad you were able to get out for a hunt, Sal! And you found two coins that are over 100 years old in a short amount of time!

:congrats:

OxShoeDrew
03-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Yeah, what is it with this snow??!!! there.....I said it.....I used to love snow... :white:usaflag:: >:( We were probably hunting at the same time as I wanted to beat the latest weather myself. Nice hunt you had there....congrats!
The snow will end just as the ferns and skunk cabbage take over >:/ >:#

CODY
03-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Sweet! :congrats:

del
03-19-2013, 03:34 PM
not a bad hunt Sal , that field should keep you busy for some time. you should get permission to hit the next field over too , there an old barn and site there as well.

Sal66
03-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks everyone ! It felt good to swing the coil again . So many times I have seen construction sites and drooled over the dirt mounds over in a corner to only find out a week later that their gone. This time even though I think the dirt will be there for quite awhile, I couldn't resist fresh dug dirt from a 1800's field that also had a farmhouse on the property as well . There's also a cornfield even if the dirt piles are hauled out .
Dan, I sent you a PM for an invite to come along. I hope you'll take advantage of it . I don't think the owner will mind if I bring along one person at a time .
For those that don't know, Dan is responsible for getting me into detecting all the way back to 2002 and has shared so many sites with me . That's why he's my first pick, but if anyone live in the CT area let me know . Maybe we can work something out as Dan is and has been very busy with his recovery job working with the Mohegan Indian Museum the last few years .
This is the first year that I have multiple sites with permission lined up . I'm up to 4 already and 3 are very hot spots. Hopefully this will be my year to compete with the Big Boys. LOL
|:cheering: GOOD LUCK THIS YEAR EVERYONE AND BE SAFE.

ChrisinCT
03-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Im convinced Im cursed. I've been out a couple dozen times this year and still haven't found a silver for 2013.

Nice finds Sal

Cheap Thrills
03-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Nice finds Sal .A great way to get the year rolling . |:cheering:

jkress
03-20-2013, 12:24 AM
:clapping: I've been waiting for you to get out there again. :->

Happy to see you were swinging you coil again... plus you got over some nice keepers. :peace: Congrats Sal.

OxShoeDrew
03-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Im convinced Im cursed. I've been out a couple dozen times this year and still haven't found a silver for 2013.

Nice finds Sal
wow Chris must snow-hunt, if that is Chris in Connecticut.... maybe it's Chris in Central Tallahassee...? :dontknow: lol.
I've yet to silver this year myself. My buddy safariscott hunts at the beach twice a week, rain or snow, he has bunches of mercs etc. already this year.

Lodge Scent
03-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Very cool. More to be found there!