PDA

View Full Version : Coin Was Better Before Cleaning

OxShoeDrew
03-19-2013, 09:23 AM
This site has been my favorite over the past year. :smitten:
I spent an hour there yesterday and dug a few keepers.
The coin is a 179? draped. The date was more clear before I took the green off 8/
Snow day AGAIN :frozen: >:{
Thanks, Drew

aloldstuff
03-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Drew, I have done the same thing to coppers. Looked good before I touched it... 8/

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-19-2013, 12:14 PM
it happens to the best of us Drew. :-\ to clean or not to clean...that is the question :thinkingabout:
nice finds regardless |:cheering:

Lodge Scent
03-19-2013, 04:48 PM
to clean or not to clean...that is the question

For sure. I have a few I wish I hadn't. Great digs!

del
03-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Drew after some experience you learn to look at a coin and tell whether it will clean up really nice or better than it is now . you'll also know when to stop the cleaning as it won't get any better and when to just leave it alone altogether. its a process to comprehend and until you get it down pretty good put all your key date or rarer coins on hold until then and use the more common or ones in so-so shape to hone those skills.

OxShoeDrew
03-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Yep...agreed....thanks everyone. I haven't touched that machin mills coin I dug last year. My ox knobs clean very well lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Yep...agreed....thanks everyone. I haven't touched that machin mills coin I dug last year. My ox knobs clean very well lol

your ox shoes clean up well too! just look at that avatar! wow! |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
your ox shoes clean up well too! just look at that avatar! wow! |:cheering:

haha......now that you mention it...I left a few iron items on a rock because I forgot my pouch. I was going to grab them before I left but forgot. Didn't think about them again until I saw them on the rock a few months later. Check out how nice the elements treat old iron. I also put a buckle on the rock and now the pin swings freely.

del
03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
for years now i've been putting all the iron tools i find on a concrete slab out in the sun for a few months and all the flakey rusty crust comes right off .

Dan

Sal66
03-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Drew ! I told you before, Stop fooling around with those Camel Toe shoes and change your Avatar to your Mugshot or one of your Best Coin finds ! rofl
Don't worry when we go out, you'll have a nice find to post up there. I told Dan we were going out sometime but didn't know when. So, now that we know I hope he can join us. I have 2 small fields we never got to because they were overgrown but now they should be perfect. Maybe we can spend a little time on one of them for nowsince one of them is going to be at our meeting spot. If you find another Ox shoe, it goes right in the trash pile. lol

OxShoeDrew
03-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Dan, I just put a bunch of large iron out in a rock, I'll see how it goes.
Sal, I'm good for an ox shoe an outting. It was the first thing I ever found with a metal detector. I see about 10 ox shoes for every horse shoe. In my area you had to have money to own a horse, the sports car of its day.
I'm looking forward to hunting with you guys.