PDA

View Full Version : garrett pin pointers

POKIE73
03-19-2013, 10:56 AM
has anybody had trouble with the unit not working there is a small felt tab that comes loose it has to be there in the end or it doesnt make a good connection

marinedad
03-23-2013, 07:51 PM
i have heard of people using a folded piece of tape or similar between the end cap and battery to make better contact.

bigjohn
06-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Dennis, I am having trouble with my pinpointer. It continually sounds off whether detecting metal. or air, or just laying on the ground. I turn it off and it seems to reset but almost immediately goes back to beeping continually. I changed batteries and still having problems. I admit the unit is fully dirt encrusted. Maybe I should remove the dirt. Bigjohn

POKIE73
06-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Dennis, I am having trouble with my pinpointer. It continually sounds off whether detecting metal. or air, or just laying on the ground. I turn it off and it seems to reset but almost immediately goes back to beeping continually. I changed batteries and still having problems. I admit the unit is fully dirt encrusted. Maybe I should remove the dirt. Bigjohn
most of the time when they act like that the batteries needs cahnged but if you did that its possible the swith is bad try a new battery and see if it still does it i use duracells dennis

MartinL
06-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Mine once had a fit like that and it was the caked dirt and mud. I washed it off and never had the troouble again, so I assume there was small metals in the caked on mess. martin

imagearhead
08-05-2013, 11:16 AM
My pinpointer does the same thing. It goes crazy on it's own. I always run new batteries and I always use top brand batteries. I've cleaned mine many of times with no change in it's behavior. I've also noticed that it signals falsely if pressed down to firmly in any given direction. I've often wondered many of times if either I've broken it at some point in time or it is actually a lemon pinpointer. Unfortunately I do not have an extra $150.00 to spare on a newer one. >:\ Oh-well... Guess I will just have to continue honing my pinpointing skills on my Ace250.

rsarge1
08-05-2013, 02:31 PM
mine just started doing that also I sent it in to the company to get fixed so we'll see

Coinshooter
10-02-2013, 01:15 PM
My Pro Pointer had the same issue. I was on a site the only thing I had to try was a hand full of clad, I placed a quarter and a penny in the cap and has been working fine.

wisconsin digger
02-02-2014, 03:11 PM
I just returned mine (due back tomorrow) I had audio issues and the false signals drive you nuts as well. I really like it but it does have its downside. Wisconsin Digger

freemindstuck
02-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Here is a pretty good video explaining the fix for a common falsing problem which could come in handy if your pinpointer is out of warranty. I think the clear coating insulation on the wires leading to the coil fails quite often. I think the other problem people tend to have is the wire connectors to the battery get bent affecting the connection to the battery. Which you can bend back into place or put a piece of card board or foam behind the 9 volt battery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90YfULEKbi8

BOWSER
05-06-2014, 11:03 PM
Here is a pretty good video explaining the fix for a common falsing problem which could come in handy if your pinpointer is out of warranty. I think the clear coating insulation on the wires leading to the coil fails quite often. I think the other problem people tend to have is the wire connectors to the battery get bent affecting the connection to the battery. Which you can bend back into place or put a piece of card board or foam behind the 9 volt battery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90YfULEKbi8
I tried taking mine apart, but after taking the screw out, the circuit board would not slide out:shocked01:

gabby
05-14-2014, 09:22 AM
I tried taking mine apart, but after taking the screw out, the circuit board would not slide out:shocked01:
Be very careful removing the circuit board. You will beak off the on/off switch if it is not depressed when you remove or insert the cct brd. Then you'll send it along with about $$ to get repaired