PDA

View Full Version : modified a small shovel

djsmith
03-22-2013, 05:44 PM
I have been wanting a Sampson model 31 t handle for awhile but couldn't afford the price rite now so I decided to make my own got my inspiration from a forum member of another sit he goes by oldsilverdigger.
Purchased the shovel at Lowes for $10 and used a drimel tool with a metal cutting blade to do all the cuts.
Took approximately an hour and a half to make from start to finish also used drimel to sharpen all the edges.
Thanks for reading and look forward to all comments

Tony Two-Cent
03-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Looks pretty wicked and efficient! That thing should dig through just about anything!

Good job! :clapping:

djsmith
03-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Looks pretty wicked and efficient! That thing should dig through just about anything!

Good job! :clapping:

It digs great the other reason I wanted this was because I walk with a cane which is a pain in the butt to carry while detecting.I can get down on the ground fine but was having a heck of the time getting back to my feet this little shovel doubles as a digger and assisting me in getting back up

del
03-22-2013, 10:44 PM
pretty nifty dremel work thumbsup01 , i'm curious as to how much it still weighs ??

freemindstuck
03-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Very nice modification! You should send a pic to manufacturer and see what they say.

djsmith
03-23-2013, 09:48 AM
pretty nifty dremel work thumbsup01 , i'm curious as to how much it still weighs ??

Thanks for the comments everyone

I am not sure of the weight but its pretty lite the total length of it is just under 26 inches and to me it feels lighter then a 20 oz bottle of soda and its much easier then carrying around a Cain

I am going to make another one for my wife for when she starts detecting with me

RobW
06-13-2013, 01:12 PM
I can get down on the ground fine but was having a heck of the time getting back to my feet this little shovel doubles as a digger and assisting me in getting back up

I know the feeling, my handle is bent on my shovel from using it to get up...... >:tongue:

Wanna make me one too :cheesysmile:

Boulder
06-14-2013, 08:44 PM
It digs great the other reason I wanted this was because I walk with a cane which is a pain in the butt to carry while detecting.I can get down on the ground fine but was having a heck of the time getting back to my feet this little shovel doubles as a digger and assisting me in getting back up

Very nice handy work, and I too know the pain of getting up.

I broke down after bending a $30 shovel getting up, and sprung for a king of spades 3:clapping:.

Seems to work pretty good for this big old guy.

Good work, John. :congrats:

Coinshooter
09-05-2013, 03:07 PM
This is a great idea but the shovel has a 25 year warranty, I have exchanged 8 of them because where the handle and the shovel blade meet it was breaking. Other then that its a great woods shovel.

smeigs
03-13-2014, 11:17 AM
That is a great looking shovel. I just got a dremel for christmas this year and was wondering what I could use it for! I will have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing.

KCFindIt
03-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Love all the ingenuity you guys come up with. Shovel does look like the "shark of the woods" !