PDA

View Full Version : Nice hunt today

pulltabsteve
03-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Big pennies, wheats and a cool thimble in perfect shape! Started out this morning at the old field. Got the usual buttons and a coin Mike thinks is a 1747 machins mills. Its pretty shot but I can sort of make out the date.

Later in the day Mike and I met up at an old house we just got permission to hunt. The house was built in 1861, but its the 3rd house on the property going back to the late 1600s!

The woman who owned the house just asked to see what we found. Between Mike and I we each found a matron head and about 20 wheats. Towards the end of the day I found the silver thimble with initials. The initials look to me like J. L. P. The previous woman who owned the house died in 1940 and her last name began with a P, but her first name was Sarah, so i'll have to research more on this. We kept all the finds and told the owner that we will make a display case for her. She in turn gave us permission to come back anytime we wanted.

del
03-23-2013, 08:55 PM
:wow: great looking thimble Steve :loveit: and congrats on the Georgian copper (looks like a British made or Regal and not counterfiet) and large cent |:cheering: |:cheering: it looks like one of your buttons might be a Jacksonian type ( the small lower left one , it has the thick bordered edge) they usually have an animal or designed motif on them. clean it up lets see!! grreat hunt how did Mike do??

Dan

Thiltzy
03-23-2013, 09:00 PM
:wow:Great hunt! Sweet thimble it sure cleaned up beautifully and gratz on two nice coppers. A very good day indeed :congrats:

Epi-hunter
03-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Nice finds, Steve :)

I like the thimble. :perfect10:

Tony Two-Cent
03-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Incredible finds, Steve! |:cheering:

It definitely looks like seventeen forty-something on that one old copper. :yes:

That silver thimble is awesome! How cool that it has initials on it like that.

Congrats on the great day! happydance02

aloldstuff
03-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Now thats a productive days hunting. :congrats: on the two coppers and love that thimble.

starman2
03-25-2013, 02:16 PM
:perfect10: Awesome Coppers! Great Thimble! You must have been diggin every sound. WTG!! :bananadance:

CODY
03-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Great finds Steve. Love the thimble. That is one on my wish list. Have dug up several, but not a silver one yet. Congrats.

OxShoeDrew
04-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Oh boy Steve...I'm sorry I missed this post. What a great hunt. Have you been back? A big congrats to you.

pulltabsteve
04-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Thanks Drew! Oh yes, I certainly went back. Check out my mindblowing kind of day post :twirlingeyes: