PDA

View Full Version : Nice cellar hole hunt with Heavymetalnut*I found unknown colonial coin plz help

Thiltzy
03-23-2013, 08:51 PM
As Dave alreay mentioned, we tried some spots on the other side of the state today. When we made it to the area we wanted to hike into, we were greeted by a locked gate that lead to an old abandoned road. The gate was littered with posted signs of private property, no tresspassing and another sign that warned of beating the crap out of us if we entered.
We decided to knock on the door of a near by house to inquire about the private property. A very elderly woman was kind enough to give us directions to the land owner after telling us that there was a colonial town beyond the locked gate. Luck would have it that the land owners granted us permission to hunt the area.
We found three cellar holes scattered around a very old cemetary that had headstones that were not even readable. It seems as though these cellar holes had already been hunted so Dave and I found what they missed. As we always do :cool: I found a hand full of buttons that included a nice cloak button with sunburst and a a few nice dandies. The rosette cleaned up while the most intriguing find of mine was a coin that Dave and I have never seen before. The coin is about the size of a half cent or just a tad bigger than a quarter but the perplexing thing is that it rang up on my machine in the nickle range with a VDI reading of 28.
Dan, if your out there please help me ID this coin |:confused:)

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-23-2013, 08:58 PM
never seen anything dug like that copper before in my career.nice tombac! and wow is that the gold gilt on that rosette? nice hunt Todd!

Tony Two-Cent
03-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Great bunch of colonial finds, Todd! :clapping:

I am always fascinating by the buttons and relics from the colonial era, it's a world that is totally foreign to us here in the midwest. I would give anything to finds stuff that old.

I am very intrigued by that coin and I hope that someone is able to identify it!

Congrats on the successful hunt! |:cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-23-2013, 10:43 PM
may be an early dutch copper Todd. http://us.search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=chrc-comodo&p=voc+copper+coin

Sal66
03-24-2013, 09:33 AM
:wow: It is possible to be a Dutch Copper. I owned one and gave it away in my contest. There are many Varieties also.
The Dutch owed the State of New York Money and sent a lot of these over. The later became known as the First One Cent called the New York Penny. Many were lost at sea during a storm. That's the one I owned. I forgot who won it. It had VOC on front with the date and a shield on back with 2 lions on each side. If it is, this would be the first one I've seen dug . They weren't uncommon because there were millions of them made but I just haven't seen one dug on any forums. Can it be cleaned more ?

del
03-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Patch figured it out before me its a 1710-1713 french 6 deniers , great hunt Todd |:cheering: |:cheering:

Thiltzy
03-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Patch figured it out before me its a 1710-1713 french 6 deniers , great hunt Todd |:cheering: |:cheering:

Thanks for the effort Dan...although this could hurt your reputation lol lol
I guess I would have to say that this is my oldest coin find to date, almost broke into the 17th century :daydream:

Tony Two-Cent
03-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Awesome find, Todd! Can you make out the date on yours? It definitely helps that it's narrowed down to 4 possible years. Terrific old coin! Wow!

Thiltzy
03-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Awesome find, Todd! Can you make out the date on yours? It definitely helps that it's narrowed down to 4 possible years. Terrific old coin! Wow!
Thanks Tony however, i can not make the exact date.

aloldstuff
03-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Locked gate, no problem. Finding your earliest coin, fantastic. Nice hunting Todd.

del
03-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the effort Dan...although this could hurt your reputation lol lol
I guess I would have to say that this is my oldest coin find to date, almost broke into the 17th century :daydream:

lol lol Todd , I can't compete with Iron Patch on the early French and British coins , he knows them better than most.

Lodge Scent
03-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Very cool!