PDA

View Full Version : Presnow Hunt

freemindstuck
03-24-2013, 01:28 PM
I got out for a hunt yesterday before the big snow storm. I went to a house built in the 1870's that is now a museum that I have permission to hunt. It has been hunted a lot over the years. But surprisingly I found a few keepers. Including a 53 D wheat, an 1889 liberty head nickel, a 1945 D war nickel, a 10 cent Lane brothers general store token from Pisgah Iowa, and a 1.00 dollar J.W. Mann general store token from Mondamin Iowa.
Unfortunately I had trouble getting any detail of the V nickel with my camera, so no close up picks. Both the tokens are circa 1912. There is a connection with the Lanes brothers token and Charles Hyde and David Vredenburg, the founders of the grocery store chain HyVee, which you're probably familiar with if you live in the midwest. David Vredenburg and Arthur Lane were business partners from 1909 to 1912 at the general store in Pisgah Iowa until Vredenburg sold is half out to the Lane brothers in 1912, later moving to Lamoni and eventually partnering up with Charles Hyde, starting the general stores that eventually became the HyVee chain of grocery stores.
Anyways thanks for looking!

aloldstuff
03-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Nice hunting. We don't get many tokens out this way so its always a treat to see them posted. :congrats: on your nickles, those V's usually don't come out of the ground in to good a shape.

Tony Two-Cent
03-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Nice pre-snow hunt! I love those old store tokens! Pretty neat history about the precursors to the HyVee stores.

I always have trouble photographing nickels too. I've found that it's best to place them on a dark background.

Those V Nickels from the 1880s don't turn up often. That is a great find!

:congrats:

ChrisinCT
03-25-2013, 07:01 AM
Nice finds.

starman2
03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
:congrats: on some nice finds! Very cool Nickle!! WTG! Gots to be more there someplace! :peace:

CODY
03-25-2013, 09:54 PM
Nice finds! Love those old tokens! :congrats: