PDA

View Full Version : Cold Digging

z118
03-24-2013, 05:39 PM
The weather has not been nice lately... the past week has been 20's at night, 30's during the day, and on and off flurries. So I was not hopeful for the digging this weekend. I got out Saturday and headed to a large old park in the city with a particular wooded spot in mind. It was mostly a bust, yielding only modern pennies and a 1941 nickel. I moved into the main park area with all you forum folks in mind, figuring if you can all find treasure in hunted out parks than so can I. I switched to manual and cranked the Etrac up to 27 and went as slow as slow can go. I got an iffy nickle signal and pulled a nasty red Buffalo. That had me excited but other treasure was not to be had other than a beat up wheat. I don't know how you do it. The snow and slush and mud didn't help I guess.

It was a bit warmer today so I headed to another wooded spot that gave up 20 wheats and a Buff last weekend. The woods didn't give up much other than a lonely wheat and then finally a small silver ring. I took a break and then moved into a sports field next to the wooded area. I had better luck there, scoring a 1936 Buff, a few more wheats, and a '45 Merc. The Merc made me very happy. It was a nice day (relative to the recent weather anyway) even though it was only about 37 degrees and it was very good to get outside.

Happy hunting!

aloldstuff
03-24-2013, 05:49 PM
We are all with you, waitng for the weather to get better. Nice going on the buffs and the merc. That low and slow thing really works. On the ring I see 1907, do you think that the ring is from then or would that be the year the school opened?? :congrats: on all you keepers

Tony Two-Cent
03-24-2013, 08:45 PM
I would take those results any day! The buffs seem to be hiding from me so far this year. Nice Merc and silver ring!

:congrats:

bob_e99
03-25-2013, 10:53 AM
You're blowing me away. I'm still waiting for the snow cover to go away >{ . Very nice finds indeed. Nice merc and a nice ring.

We are all with you, waitng for the weather to get better. Nice going on the buffs and the merc. That low and slow thing really works. On the ring I see 1907, do you think that the ring is from then or would that be the year the school opened?? :congrats: on all you keepers

I did look up the school and 1907 was the year that they opened. They are now a university so the ring does have a bit of age to it.

In any case congrats on another very good hunt.

:congrats:

starman2
03-25-2013, 01:36 PM
:perfect10: :congrats: On the Silver Ring, and Merc! The Buffalo's are always cool. Glad you were able to get out. The snow missed Mich. today. The snows gone. But the ground is still hard as a rock. I'm waitin for the thaw. Nothin I hate worse then a signal I can't get to. Trying to be patient. But going :bananadance:! WTG on a successful hunt!! |:cheering:

CODY
03-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Great finds! Nothing wrong with those! :congrats: