PDA

View Full Version : Found my first foreign silver today

ChrisinCT
03-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Lee and I hit a old park today.
The first area we hit didn't result in much except a tiny bit of clad for us both and a wheat for Lee.
We decided to move down to the area around the ball fields and to my surprise there was hardly any junk signals and even fewer coins of any kind. After a good half hour of finding basically nothing, I was almost ready to move on to another park when I see Lee doing the happy dance.

I walked over to see what the commotion is about and he's got himself a 1900 S Barber dime.

So with a little renewed faith I carry on for another half hour of nothing and am once again talking myself into leaving so I figure Ill work my way over to Lee to give him the tap on the shoulder that its time.

I got about half way to him when I get a good tone with a 76/79 VDI reading at 3.

I figured I had a dime and maybe a silver one.

It turned out to be a Norwegian 1823 24 skilling species in great shape.

At first I had no idea what it was and if it was even a coin. I thought it was a token of some sort.

I showed Lee and he said it was a coin but didn't know anything about it either.

So with once again renewed interest we searched another hour or so and Lee is doing his happy dance once again this time its a 1905 O Barber dime.

Lee finds a couple more wheats and a toasted IH and possibly another IH but its to beat to tell what it is.

I found nothing else except a small amount of clad, but a great hunt for both of us.

If anyone can shed some light on this coins value it would be much appreciated.

aloldstuff
03-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Great hunting, a little renewed faith goes a long way. :congrats: on your 1st foreign silver and you should consider it priceless.

Just went to the NGC site and here is the info
VG8 $145
VF20 $475
XF40 $750

don't know the grading criteria but it looks to me like ya got a money coin. Huge congrats

Tony Two-Cent
03-25-2013, 03:08 PM
That's a spectacular find, Chris! :wow:

Silver that's 190 years old would have me doing the happy dance for a month! happydance02

I would love to see some better photos of the coin. That one is banner material for sure!

Congrats on the incredible find! :perfect10:

ChrisinCT
03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Are these any better?

Tony Two-Cent
03-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the additional photos, Chris. I think we can work with those. :yes:

Congrats again on the fantastic find! |:cheering:

lee
03-26-2013, 10:37 AM
ya know lads and lasses there was only 125,000 those coins minted and chris found one !!! , truly amazing chris and much beter pictures.
its 11.37am mate , ya wana hit it again for a few hours ?

CODY
03-26-2013, 10:44 AM
:wow: Great find! :congrats:

skribnodsister
03-26-2013, 04:17 PM
:wow: Very nice find Chris! That coins worth a little bit of money! :peace: :congrats: on the Awesome find! :perfect10:

JdsCoins
03-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Awesome find! :perfect10::shocked04:

I'm a coin dealer and I never even seen one of those. ::huh::

You can't beat something that old and valuable for your first foreign silver. I've gotten 3, all were British and none with a value over $10. (and the oldest was 1914)

POKIE73
03-26-2013, 06:13 PM
finds like that will always be remembered congrats on a great hunt dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

ChrisinCT
03-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Awesome find! :perfect10::shocked04:

I'm a coin dealer and I never even seen one of those. ::huh::

Funny you mention that your a dealer.
I was just thinking of putting up a post on how I could go about getting a reasonable ideas of its worth and how I go about selling it?

Should I send it for grading and if so to whom?

If it was an American coin I think I would be hesitant on selling it ,but to me its just a foreign coin.

I'd like to sell it and get a smaller coil and a good camera for posting pictures.

Any help should be much appreciated.

Tony Two-Cent
03-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Here is the coin's mintage and value listed on the NGC website:

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/WorldCoinPrices.aspx?category=122276&worldcoinid=3 12187

OxShoeDrew
03-26-2013, 06:59 PM
I have to join the others in congratulating you and swoon over your sweet dig. :congrats:

ChrisinCT
03-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Here is the coin's mintage and value listed on the NGC website:

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/WorldCoinPrices.aspx?category=122276&worldcoinid=3 12187

Thanks, I guess it all comes down to grading to determine its true value.
With hundreds of dollars separating the grade I guess I'll have to do so.

So where do I send it?

lee
03-26-2013, 08:14 PM
It's on the Ngc site mate , at the top.

Sal66
03-27-2013, 08:45 AM
:grin: Chris I forgot about the Membership thing also. That's why it's not worth grading unless you have several coins to have graded.
Also, I found out some very interesting Information about the Norwegian Immigration period. When they came over here to the States, they stayed in Western New York for a bit before finally settling in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois ,The Dakota's, Penn. and even as far as Texas , but mostly up north from what I read . As far as settling up north, I guess they wanted to live in the cold like the did back home. They arrived in New York Bay before heading west, so I have no idea how that coin came to CT. unless someone visited.
So, Tony, seeing how you live in Illinois you might want to do some research on any settlements in your area. |:cheering:

Cheap Thrills
03-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Foreign silver is always a special treat . Super congrats on a sweet oldie .

starman2
03-28-2013, 12:21 PM
:perfect10:! Great find! :congrats: Looks like we' all startin to get out. :happy:

leslie(nova scotia)
03-28-2013, 06:23 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....
super dupper me son! :perfect10: <;)

swamp yankee
04-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Lee and I hit a old park today.
The first area we hit didn't result in much except a tiny bit of clad for us both and a wheat for Lee.
We decided to move down to the area around the ball fields and to my surprise there was hardly any junk signals and even fewer coins of any kind. After a good half hour of finding basically nothing, I was almost ready to move on to another park when I see Lee doing the happy dance.

I walked over to see what the commotion is about and he's got himself a 1900 S Barber dime.

So with a little renewed faith I carry on for another half hour of nothing and am once again talking myself into leaving so I figure Ill work my way over to Lee to give him the tap on the shoulder that its time.

I got about half way to him when I get a good tone with a 76/79 VDI reading at 3.

I figured I had a dime and maybe a silver one.

It turned out to be a Norwegian 1823 24 skilling species in great shape.

At first I had no idea what it was and if it was even a coin. I thought it was a token of some sort.

I showed Lee and he said it was a coin but didn't know anything about it either.

So with once again renewed interest we searched another hour or so and Lee is doing his happy dance once again this time its a 1905 O Barber dime.

Lee finds a couple more wheats and a toasted IH and possibly another IH but its to beat to tell what it is.

I found nothing else except a small amount of clad, but a great hunt for both of us.

If anyone can shed some light on this coins value it would be much appreciated.
I'm from Swedish stock and my pappy had coins in Skillings when I was a kid. Seeing them and the Peace dollars got me interested in this great hobby.Should have bought a detector back then and fished all the colonial sites 30+ yrs. ago while the coins were in better shape. Oh well, in Astoria Or. area now with much better results so far and will find a bank soon to show you all....

skribnod
04-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Awesome coin :shocked03:. I think that ones a real keeper!

Fire Fighter 43
04-11-2013, 07:30 PM
:congrats: On a first and a great find, WTG |:cheering: