PDA

View Full Version : 2013 has officially started! SLQ + Wheat Cent

jkress
03-26-2013, 08:46 PM
I wrapped up with work tonight at 4:45 and called Ron to see if he wanted to join me on a short one hour hunt. :-> He was busy
and couldn't attend, but I have been itching to test our ground today. Sure enough it was very soft in the appropriate places. :clapping:

The Wheat cent was all I needed to be happy on this quick hunt, but when I flipped a five inch plug and removed another inch of
dirt to reveal this SLQ 'S' sitting perfectly flat in the ground... <: Such a beautiful sight. :smitten:

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2013/pictures/picture-2.jpg

Nothing but soft ground from here on out in Iowa. :) Time to start digging. thumbsup01

Skamaniac
03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Not bad for such a short hunt! thumbsup01

z118
03-26-2013, 09:34 PM
That's a heck of a way to start the season! Congrats!

jkress
03-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Not bad for such a short hunt! thumbsup01

That's a heck of a way to start the season! Congrats!

Thank you guys. :)

First I tried a small park I suspected would be thawed out. It was... but the neighborhood kids were very interested in the 'treasures' I was attempting
to dig. 8/

Although I very much like to interact with children in the park, I was hunting on a very short time table. crying01 So I moved on to an old hospital just a few blocks North of this park. Built in the 1940's, I hunted here several times in 2011 and just a couple more in 2012.

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2010/pictures/picture-81.jpg

This site has produced several nice keepers from yesteryear. :clapping: I might have to revisit and grid this area. :yes:

CODY
03-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Love those SLQ! Nice finds. Is the hospital still open? Congrats

jkress
03-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Love those SLQ! Nice finds. Is the hospital still open? Congrats

Thank you buddy. :)

The hospital closed decades ago. (I was born here :happydance01: ) This hospital was converted into a Retirement Home quite awhile ago. :)

Ill Digger
03-27-2013, 12:34 AM
:shocked04: Here we go folks!
Nice way to kick off the new season Joe, with a SLQ!! :wow:
Gotta love that! thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:

tanacat
03-27-2013, 01:04 AM
Way to go Joe!!! |:cheering: You are the king of silver lol

I'm confused about your subject title-you make it sound as if you haven't found any silver in 2013 :confused: haven't you already found over 20 or so?

Btw, great pic-that beautiful blue, blue sky sure makes me miss being out West :crying02:

tanacat
03-27-2013, 01:15 AM
:blush: oops it's Tony that's the king of silver lately lol I was thinking it was you- I think I need to not get online this late :goodnight:

Congrats on your SLQ and great start of the year! |:cheering:

jkress
03-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Nice way to kick off the new season Joe, with a SLQ!! :wow:
Gotta love that! thumbsup01
Congrats! :grin:

Thank you Tim. I do love this silver. :smitten: Especially since I haven't found many SLQ's in my metal detecting career. :blush:
Looking forward to hunting with you again in 2013! :beerbuddy:

Way to go Joe!!! |:cheering: You are the king of silver lol

I'm confused about your subject title-you make it sound as if you haven't found any silver in 2013 :confused: haven't you already found over 20 or so?

Btw, great pic-that beautiful blue, blue sky sure makes me miss being out West :crying02:

Thank you Tana. thumbsup01

:blush: oops it's Tony that's the king of silver lately lol I was thinking it was you- I think I need to not get online this late :goodnight:

Ouch!!! :rolleyes: lol I'd like to be able to argue here.......... but I can't. Tony has been putting up some gorgeous hunts for the last couple of months. :drool:
He is certainly the reigning King Of Silver. :clapping:

del
03-27-2013, 03:46 AM
hey it wasn't because of you the hospital closed was it lol lol something about they broke the mold after you Joe?? :eyebrow: :poke: :poke:

het great start for the year buddy :perfect10: :clapping: :clapping:

POKIE73
03-27-2013, 05:52 AM
congrats on the early silver i hope you are right its been too long time to get digging again congrats on your find dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

aloldstuff
03-27-2013, 07:04 AM
Joe, great start to 2013. SLQ's a beautiful thing to seen in the hole. :congrats: and I hope you can get back to your birth place to get some more.

Tony Two-Cent
03-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Woo hoo! :happy:

What a way to start the year, Joe! |:cheering: :yes:

It's always a thrill to find an SLQ! You're right, they don't turn up too often. And yours even has an S mintmark.

I hope this SLQ is an indicator of how how successful your hunts are going to be in 2013! thumbsup01

:congrats:

pulltabsteve
03-27-2013, 02:03 PM
WOOHOOO!!! Nice job Joe. What fun it is to dig an SLQ :perfect10:

skribnodsister
03-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Very nice finds Joe! Where is your snow Joe?? That must be an old picture? We still have snow here, an I'm only about 30 minutes from you?? What the hey? :confused: Maybe by Friday ours will be gone. Congrats on that SLQ she sure is pretty! :perfect10:

drew73
03-27-2013, 08:28 PM
I'm still looking for my first SLQ.one day I'll find one :detecting:

jkress
03-28-2013, 01:35 AM
hey it wasn't because of you the hospital closed was it lol lol something about they broke the mold after you Joe?? :eyebrow: :poke: :poke:

het great start for the year buddy :perfect10: :clapping: :clapping:

rofl Maybe they were concerned (for good reason). :dontknow: :rolleyes: It wasn't too long after I was born they closed it down. :confused:
Looking forward to your 2013 colonial hunts. :->

congrats on the early silver i hope you are right its been too long time to get digging again congrats on your find dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

Spring is very close for you Dennis. :yes: I can't wait to follow your Illinois hunts this year.

Joe, great start to 2013. SLQ's a beautiful thing to seen in the hole. :congrats: and I hope you can get back to your birth place to get some more.

You are right... a SLQ is a true keeper to unearth. :smitten: I did get back to my birthplace tonight. At 5:16 my better half said, Just go out for
an hour. :peace: I took her advice and went back for another early evening hour hunt.

There weren't too many potential targets to dig during this time. At the 45 minute mark I got my coil over what sounded like multiple possibilities. :yes:
First up was a quarter sound at 5 inches - turned out to be a 1965. Back filled the hole, stood up, re-swept the area and again hit on several targets
worth digging.

Next came a 1965 dime, then a 1963 nickel. Packed the hole, stood up and scanned again... another dime signal. :thinkingabout: This one turned out to be
a 1952.

Grabbed a Wheat cent, packed up and went home, fired up the grill for hamburgers and watched Survivor. <: March 27th, 2013 was a good day!

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2013/pictures/picture-3.jpg

I hope this SLQ is an indicator of how how successful your hunts are going to be in 2013! thumbsup01

Thank you Tony.
Me too. :) Hopefully I'll find some good one's this year.

WOOHOOO!!! Nice job Joe. What fun it is to dig an SLQ :perfect10:

Thank you buddy. I appreciate the sentiment. But... I'd gladly switch spots with you for sure. :yes: I'd love to get my coil over the ground
you get to hunt. |:confused:)

Very nice finds Joe! Where is your snow Joe?? That must be an old picture?

Our snow is finally melting, and so should yours... I'm counting on it. Ron and I might be in your neck of the woods on Friday.
Better be soft ground there. :cheesysmile:

Let me know if you want to get together for a hunt this spring. thumbsup01 The hospital picture is from 2011, definitely not from this week.

I'm still looking for my first SLQ.one day I'll find one :detecting:

The SLQ is a tough one for me to find. :yes: Keep swinging, you will get over one sooner or later. :happydance01: Please post it here when you do drew73.