PDA

View Full Version : Stumped about this button

Sal66
03-26-2013, 10:47 PM
|:cheering: Hey guys! I found this several years ago and I haven't been able to figure it out. Most of us have heard of Pratt & Whitney but this as you can see says Pratt Porter & Co. Hartford. For those that don't live in CT. , Hartford is our Capital and where Pratt & Whitney Co. is. I found my 1864 2center nearby, so I'm thinking maybe the Company wasn't always Pratt & Whitney. Does anyone know anything about this Company ? I haven't found anything online anywhere.

tanacat
03-27-2013, 12:47 AM
ABEL PORTER & CO 1802-1811

I looked for awhile but this is all I found... :thinkingabout:

Pratt and Porter must've had a falling out early in the game lol

OxShoeDrew
03-31-2013, 01:10 PM
I may have found a lead...

I found the following at this site,

https://manuscripts.wordpress.com/tag/nhprc-grant-project/page/2/

Lately I have been working predominately with account books. I must admit, there are times I feel that if I’ve seen one purchase of sundries, I’ve seen them all. But some do manage to have an interesting twist. Thomas Porter, a resident of Waterbury, Connecticut, kept an account book between 1825 and 1835. A quick glance at the pages of the book, such as the one below, yields little information.

Thomas Porter Account Book, 1817-1835, Ms 70562. Connecticut Historical Society, Hartford, CT

However, Alfred Platt, for whom Porter was working, was a pioneer of brass and copper wire manufacturing in Waterbury. For several years, Platt made all of the wire used by the Scovill and Benedict & Burnham Companies for making button eyes. Buttons are such a part of Waterbury’s history, the Mattatuck Museum even has a permanent button display! Years later, Porter continued his work in the button industry, this time with William H. Hine.