PDA

View Full Version : First day with the Etrac and have a question.

Rcb104
03-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Ok first day out with new detector not so bad. Hit 1940's house and about as expected except the silver. About a 40 X 40 front yard and ended up with 3.79 in clad and 4 wheats with 1945 being the oldest.

I was in the right range in this neighborhood to find silver and once I figured out that I had sensitivity maxed out just playing with it and got it in auto all was quiet and targets started to show up.

Ok here is the question.....I knocked on another door which a pit bull met me at the door which I had to close to keep him from coming out. I asked owner of another home and got permission. He asked about how long I would be and I told him at least an hour and he then turned me down as the dog would have drove him nuts. So if the time is limited and you are just shooting for silver target what readings on etrac would you dig in say a 20 min hunt?? I guess this is cherry picking but I had no response to him and I am going low and slow and slow trying to learn machine.

nicklehead
03-30-2013, 09:45 PM
I'd do a horoscope reading and look for a lucky day if I only had 20 minutes.
Factory coins
Auto +3
12-44 to 47's
I think a better investment of time would be knocking on another door where you could find a place to hunt with some degee of leisure.
Good luck

POKIE73
03-31-2013, 05:52 AM
if it is your first few times out i would go to a local park and try to learn from the signals you get there it will take time but there is times that i will cherry pick if you get to be more aware of the sounds and the numbers you can with a good degree sort out the better ones but for awile i would conentrate on getting more familar with your detector you have aa great machine and it takes time to learn dennis

ssserena
04-02-2013, 09:52 AM
The problem with cherry picking dennis is you can miss some good signals.I got a 1920 wheat penny yesterday at 12-30 iffy signal it was going back and forth.