PDA

View Full Version : Busted A Slump Double Cent Trifecta!

Bell-Two
03-31-2013, 09:48 AM
We all know how it is when you are in a slump; the fields have not been kind to us lately. So we went out Saturday and checked the field I had been wanting to hunt for the last month incredibly it was still a sodden mess so we decided to do a door knock. We got permission at an 1870’s house the owner’s son-in-law told us he has been hunting it for years and had found a lot of mercs and V nickels and wheaties. Well he did a good job but didn’t get them all as I found two wheats, a silver plated spoon and a 1935-D Mercury dime. We moved on looking for another door knock but did not find a likely place close at hand so we stopped at a field that we had hunted before, and mercifully it was pretty dry. The field had given up grudgingly in the past. Paul got a seated dime, Indian, and a V nickel here, Doug had gotten an Indian and I got my 1872 Indian here too. But I had almost decided to give up on it as it had not given anything else for awhile. We were able to get into an area that before had only been a sea of mud and that was the key as I got a 1833 Large Cent fairly soon. A few minutes later Diane came over and she had in her hand an 1885 Indian, I could tell she was pleased to finally get a keeper from this field. About 10 minutes passed and I got another good signal and my second Large Cent appeared a very crusty 1835. Just a few feet further on and I got a 12-37 bouncy signal varying between 12-36 to 12-38, I was hoping for an Indian and I could see in the clump I had in my hand a green edge, my hopes were fulfilled it was an 1900 Indian. Not more than a few steps further my eyes picked up a green disc lying on top of the ground, another Indian! This was an 1880. That was the last find of the day. I ended up with a double Cent Trifecta, two Wheat’s, two Indians and two Large Cents!

Hunting With Bell-Two #110 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7pK4QqU2_U&feature=share&list=UUGoremIxqV MFX1uW7k1mB0A#ws)

OxShoeDrew
03-31-2013, 11:49 AM
My gosh, that's some hunt you had. Pennies from heaven :grin:

aloldstuff
03-31-2013, 05:07 PM
That area of the field dried up today so that you could find all those keepers. :congrats: on a double cent trifecta.

del
04-01-2013, 06:22 AM
congrats on the indians and coppers :cheering: :cheering:

Tony Two-Cent
04-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Now that's how you end a slump! |:cheering:

Congrats on the wonderful old coins, Tony! I am so envious of how you seem to find large cents with ease. I sure did enjoy looking through your album of finds when I was at your house.

I hope the slump is over for good and that you have a record year in 2013!

CTDirtFisher
04-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Wahoo - What a day :-)

:congrats:

Bell-Two
04-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Now that's how you end a slump! |:cheering:

Congrats on the wonderful old coins, Tony! I am so envious of how you seem to find large cents with ease. I sure did enjoy looking through your album of finds when I was at your house.

I hope the slump is over for good and that you have a record year in 2013!

Thanks Tony well I have found a few for sure but lately nothing has been coming easy I was almost ready to :white:usaflag:: well not quite! Hey if you can get out here before the crops go in I will take you guys out to a few fields!

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-02-2013, 08:27 AM
very nice hunt! is that field plowed every season?

Bell-Two
04-02-2013, 06:50 PM
very nice hunt! is that field plowed every season?

This is the first year we have hunted it, I believe he does plow it the other three fields of his were turned over after the harvest too.