PDA

View Full Version : Elude me no more a first for me!

hockeyguy
11-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Went to a park with Catskill Comics today....actually I dropped him off and went to do some business , then I returned so he hunted most of they day in an urban park in the center of town. I had been there before finds only a few wheat's.

I was having a difficult time. 1. Because my !) X !@ SEF had arrived but I was unable to retrieve it prior to leaving. 2. because once I got to the park, I was having technical difficulties.

The ordinary settings on my machine, which work very well for me elsewhere, did not perform well in this heavily used park. Every swing I would get a very hi pitch tone with a bad digital reading....obviously aluminum. I had to constantly look at the readout, so I changed my gain (about 10x). I couldn't ignore this tone and so I changed my variability. This didn't work so I moved my sensitivity. Over and Over til finally I went to factory reset and started over, more than once.

After an hour with no progress, I decided to move on to a 3rd location w/i the park. Frustrated and cold, I was ready to go.

On the way back to find Scott, I found an area where the pull tabs and can slaw was a bit more minimal. Got a reasonable reading that did not read so well in pinpoint, but it was deep,. You know the ones, you've already decided they are diggers, now you want to listen over and over to learn from this.

5 down and out came this 2 cent piece. I was thinking, another token, until I read the 2 on it. A 1st and on my wish list coin, it eludes me no more.

A few feet away, now practically in AM mode, I got another deep reasonable signal. Again in pinpoint mode it wasn't that attractive, but deep. Not great in all directions, but again, I had already decided it was a digger and really nothing was changing that.

Took out the sod...target still in hole. Took out more soil and scanned the pile....a null...hmmm it was a nail the whole time. Well, I dug it and want to see my nail...maybe its a nice one! Found it and rescanned the pile....oh very sweet sound and out came the barber!

Needless to say i was very happy with these 2 coins.

BTW, Scott shouted his classic phrase to me after finding these, I was just gonna search that area!

HH

Aaron

Epi-hunter
11-04-2009, 08:12 PM
:shocked04: :shocked04:

Wow!!!! Beautiful coins! An incredible day for sure!

Okay Angel, we need to set up our our Featured Finds section.....

That 2 cent piece is on my dream list... and the barber is gorgeous!

Snowy
11-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Sweet! I'm still looking for a 2-center.
Makes up for all the frustration you had today, huh.
glad you had a good day after all.
Beautiful!

del
11-04-2009, 08:19 PM
two centers truely are a unique coin the U.S. government decided to make and the first to use the motto In God We Trust on it , and a great looking Barber too, huh . that would be a very good day in my book , huge Congrats .

Dan

Islandhunter
11-04-2009, 08:29 PM
A nice barber and a 2 center..makes for a great day!!! Congrats!!

MNDigger
11-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Beautiful coins! That 2 center is a great find!

bmattioli
11-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Great finds Aaron. The 2 Cent piece is absolutly wonderful and the Baber is quite nice as well.. Scratch that one off your list.. Great day..

Bruce

Bentfork
11-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Very nice coins. I agree with the others. A two cent piece is a fantastic find. Especially in that condition. thumbsup01

catskillcomics
11-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Great finds Aaron.. Like I said before, that 2 cent piece has great patina.. looks like you got Photoshop installed

angellionel
11-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Excellent finds Aaron! Those are two very sweet coins for sure. You are right Angie, we do need a featured finds section. :)

z118
11-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Wow.... that two center is in sweet shape! Congrats!

OkieDigger
11-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Those are two great finds. A two cent is definitely on my wish list.

Dave
11-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Wow! You really had to work for those finds. Nice job, congrats on both of those coins!

SeabeeRon
11-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Wowzer!!! Nice pair ya dug up!! :shocked04: thumbsup01

coinnut
11-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Great looking pair. I love both of those coins. Hard to choose the better one though :-\ Since Angel only sees silver, his choice would be easy :grin:

angellionel
11-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Great looking pair. I love both of those coins. Hard to choose the better one though :-\ Since Angel only sees silver, his choice would be easy :grin:

:grin: I have a silver affliction. :cheesysmile:

I tend to get more excitement out of finding an old silver coin, but I also love finding those old coppers and 2-cent pieces. 8)

Aaron's piece is a very nice one. The last few I have found were in terrible shape. :(

Epi-hunter
11-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Wow, Aaron's is in AMAZING shape compared to yours Angel! It looks like those two were in a fire or something :)

No matter what the condition, still a great find :) Still waiting for mine.

Snowy
11-06-2009, 08:13 PM
I'd take it too... cuz I'm still waiting to find mine as well!
Love those old coins. Nice, regardless of condition.