PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil or shortening to clean things??

elkameno59
04-01-2013, 04:45 PM
:thinkingabout: I went into my local coin shop to sell him a few of my finds from years ago, and he told me not to bring him anymore dirty coins... So I asked - what should I do to the copper coins I dig up? He tells me to buy some cheap salad dressing oil and soak the coins in there for a few weeks next time or just stick the coins into a jar of Crisco ?? I'm sure he's going nuts but - I ask all of you ... really?

del
04-01-2013, 08:51 PM
you should of asked him if thats whats he uses to zip his coins clean lol lol personally i don't use the olive oil or crisco , these are a very slow method and usually don't get very good results . most will use the hot peroxide method or just warm soapy water and a soft toothbrush. clad coins can just be put in a tumbler with some sand or gravel and dish soap .

Tony Two-Cent
04-04-2013, 01:31 PM
I have tried using olive oil to clean my copper coins. I personally haven't found that it helps much in the cleaning process, no matter how long you let the coins soak in the oil. Mostly it just adds a protective coating to coins that are already clean.