PDA

View Full Version : Ox Knobs?

z118
04-03-2013, 09:43 PM
I've never really understood what ox knobs are although I've seen them mentioned on the forums often. It was suggested in a post yesterday that an item I dug might be one... so this got me looking into them today. The pictures I saw on the the net reminded me of another item I had dug some time ago and had thrown in one of my scrap buckets. So what do you all think? Are these two items ox knobs? The one on the left is the one I dug yesterday, the one on the right is the one I pulled from the scrap bucket.

Thanks!

Sal66
04-03-2013, 11:25 PM
I know the middle one is so maybe the first one is also, just a different type. Are they threaded inside ? The ones I found were more round on top and I'm sure their were many shapes and sizes depending on the horns. I don't know the reason for the hole but I'm sure someone know that question.
Here's a Picture of various types.

del
04-04-2013, 02:01 AM
hey Z m the one on the right is indeed an oxknob . they were put onto the horns of the ox to keep from goring and hurting the other oxen and people. the lefy item looks more like a furniture leg base to a desk or table to me.

Here's a Picture of various types.

hey where did you get the picture of my prized oxknob collection , Sal lol lol

no seriously , i took that picture :eyebrow:

tanacat
04-04-2013, 12:24 PM
hey where did you get the picture of my prized oxknob collection , Sal lol lol

lol :hysterical:

I think I've found oxknobs and thought they were plumbing somethin' or others...

OxShoeDrew
04-10-2013, 11:33 AM
I remember after digging my first ox knob (you never forget your first knob :cheesysmile:) I threw it in my recycling pile. I thought it was modern junk. I still don't know how they threaded those 200 yr old things.