PDA

View Full Version : Worst Weather?

Skamaniac
04-05-2013, 08:53 PM
My family was at the Oregon coast for a few days :pirate: . I met up with them on my days off and just happened to have my detector with me. I took it out on the beach even though the wind was blowing 50 MPH from the south and it was raining (sideways). What with the blowing sand and rain >:\ it was so hard to see I had to face north even if I was moving south, i.e., I was detecting backwards half the time. Several times I had to stop and brace to keep from being blown over. The wind was deafening even with the headphones. After an hour I was soaked, cold, and sandblasted. Same thing the next day. Total take - two quarters and two pennies.

All this got me wondering...what is the worst weather or other condition you've ever detected in?

del
04-06-2013, 09:37 AM
wow :shocked03: being half drowned and sandblasted for two days for only 52 cents , We here at American Detectorist should have a special award for that kind of behavior or notify the authorities on you lol lol rofl i'm not sure which :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout:.

But for the record i have participated in such behavior , caught out in fierce electrical downpouring rainstorms , out in below zero temps for long periods of time with snow 8 inches deep, in extreme heat and humidity . so if they did have a place/home/asylum for detectorists with such crazy actions i'd be there to welcome another brother ;) lol rofl lol .

Dan

aloldstuff
04-06-2013, 12:50 PM
One must know when to say enough is enough.............

OxShoeDrew
04-18-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm a wimp compared to you guys.... here are my personal rules:

1 Will start hunting in semi-darkness, at temps no lower then 27. The temp must rise to above freezing in an hour or two.

2 Scattered sprinkles is okay. Steady rain is out.

3 Snow okay if it is 32 degrees... and less than 3in on the ground. (LOVE to hunt when there is a half inch on the ground)

4 More than 2 inches of frozen, chocolate colored dirt..no go.

5 Rules 1 through 5 discarded if it is a honey hole lol

aloldstuff
04-18-2013, 02:44 PM
5 Rules 1 through 5 discarded if it is a honey hole

:perfect10: rule # 5 :perfect10: