PDA

View Full Version : The field that keeps on giving. My first Liberty Cap!

Elad
04-06-2013, 08:34 PM
I spent 6 hours yesterday exploring a new area. My goal was to find another cellar hole. Well, 3 hours in I did in fact find one. However, it must have been hit hard in the past, because all I got were iron signals - An hour of digging nails, I decided to explore a little bit more. With the sun about to set, I started my 3 mile walk back. I came home exhausted and disappointed.

This morning when I woke up I figured I would be too beat to go detecting. Nope! I stretched out and I went off to my colonial field once again. I decided to grid search an end of the field I couldn't really get to before, because of overgrowth and snow accumulation. I started working the very edge, and was able to get my coil in between some thorns and stubble that was just off the field. I got a screaming signal, and even after the lifting method I figured I had a can; then I thought back to that time where I thought I had a can and it turned out to be a Morgan Dollar. I dug it up and out popped a crusty large copper! I was shocked. I couldn't make out any detail, so I put it away and continued on. I found buttons and then the silver name plate thing (for a pocket knife maybe?), which was cool. (I believe it says Lila and also STERLING.)

4 hours later I was home and the cleaning/preserving process began. Hydrogen peroxide wasn't helping me ID the coin, so I did something I wouldn't normally do - scrubbed it with a brass brush! Then, after applying 3 or 4 coats of renaissance wax, I stared at this coin for 20 minutes straight, using shadows to try and see any raised detail that may be left. At first I thought I had a non-regal copper of some sort, but I eventually noticed the bust of the lady facing right. Eureka! My first ever Liberty Cap large cent! Back is toasted of all detail.

Also, note the penny-sized carved piece of lead. N on one side and a ¶ type thing on the other side. Am I imaging it, or is there a little tiny smiling guy with 2 nose hairs on the N side??

Anyways happy hunting all and thanks for reading/looking! |:cheering:

Mudder
04-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Looks like you made some wonderful finds, and yes, I can see her head. :perfect10:

Sal66
04-06-2013, 10:32 PM
:perfect10: Very nice finds ! Where's the Morgan ? Too bad about the Liberty Cap, there hard to find in good condition especially in a field. It's still a coin though. Can you get a date? I like the Fire Department button also. What's the other 2 pc. button and where does anyone think the Silver Plate goes to. There's such a Variety of finds, I think the field was used for multiple uses. The Fireman's buttons says there might of been a Carnival where they had fireworks or something back in the day which accounts for all the coins and relics. The Silver plate I have no idea but it's got to be worth at least melt down value. Post the Morgan if you can, :congrats: Again !!
Sal

Elad
04-06-2013, 10:37 PM
:perfect10: Very nice finds ! Where's the Morgan ? Too bad about the Liberty Cap, there hard to find in good condition especially in a field. It's still a coin though. Can you get a date? I like the Fire Department button also. What's the other 2 pc. button and where does anyone think the Silver Plate goes to. There's such a Variety of finds, I think the field was used for multiple uses. The Fireman's buttons says there might of been a Carnival where they had fireworks or something back in the day which accounts for all the coins and relics. The Silver plate I have no idea but it's got to be worth at least melt down value. Post the Morgan if you can, :congrats: Again !!
Sal

I can't seem to get an exact date off the LC. 8/

Never thought about the fireworks thing. I guess it's possible. I do know that there is an old foundation right nearby, so people were definitely living there and probably working the fields. I think the silver plate went on knife of some sort.

aloldstuff
04-07-2013, 05:01 AM
Toasted or not :congrats: on your liberty cap. That coin is on my wish list. I agree that the silver plate item went to a pocket knife.

I have found that stretching before the hunt really helps. Hope that the field can produce some more goodies for you.

dalewestaby
04-07-2013, 07:17 AM
That silver strip, i found one just like it, what is it

CODY
04-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Nice finds, :congrats:

jkress
04-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Congratulations on an amazing bunch of keepers here. :clapping:

The buttons, relics and the Liberty Cap are of an age we just dream about here in Iowa. :daydream:

Very, very nicely done Elad.

Elad
04-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Pulled out a couple more crusty Matron heads and an old token. My friend also managed another matron head and a V nickel yesterday. The field continues to make me love it. :smitten: