PDA

View Full Version : Good Ol' Two-Cent Park Isn't Hunted Out After All

Tony Two-Cent
04-06-2013, 10:31 PM
I put in a full day of metal detecting today. It was partly sunny and in the low 70s and VERY windy. It was nice hunting in short sleeves for a change.

My first stop was at a small park in a tiny town that I had never been to before. At this park I found a 1939 Washington Quarter and a 1901 Indian Head Cent.

The finds quickly dried up at this small park so I decided to head back to Two-Cent Park and see if I could coax any more keepers out of the ground. Since I have hunted this park so heavily I opted to crank my manual sensitivity up to 28 and use Angel's discrimination pattern, which is a lot more open than the pattern I usually use.

Within two minutes I had a deep nickel signal which ended up being a 1906 V Nickel. A good sign of things to come! This park never ceases to amaze me. Granted, I don't find old coins with the same frequency I used to there, but I still always find some nice keepers. Today Two-Cent Park gave me 2 Indian Heads, 7 Wheat Cents, 1 V Nickel and 1 Buffalo Nickel. Just as I was about to call it a day, I got a very iffy signal that wasn't very consistent but it was deep so I decided to dig it. When I got my hole opened up to about 8 deep the target probe was giving me a perfect 11-47 signal at the bottom of the hole. At that point I was 99.9% sure it was going to be a silver quarter. The next scoop of dirt brought up a beautiful 1893-S Barber Quarter! What a way to end the day!

Here are my finds for the day:
(The 1905 V Nickel and 1940 Merc were from Friday evening after work at the old grade school.)

And here are the keepers:

And the highlight of my day, the 1893-S Barber Quarter: (Somewhat uncommon date.)

This elongated cent from the 1933 Chicago World's Fair was a neat find too:

Here are my relics for the day. I got another small crotal bell, plus some whatzits:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Elad
04-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Nice finds! I wish cellar holes gave up as much silver as parks! :cool:

:congrats:

Hook
04-06-2013, 11:36 PM
those are some real nice oldies Tony..congrats!! that barber quarter is gorgeous ! thanks for showing them.

POKIE73
04-07-2013, 04:55 AM
great hunt and some great finds but i am partial to the barber congrats on a great hunt dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

aloldstuff
04-07-2013, 05:05 AM
Tony, another nice hunt. :congrats: on the silvers especially that Barber quarter. Isn't it nice to have a go to park. It's been a while since I've dug a crotal bell. Great hunting, wish we had short sleeve weather here.

skribnodsister
04-07-2013, 05:12 AM
Holy Cow Tony, you've found some awesome finds this year! :happy: Love the IHs, they are in really good shape.. Congrats on the Barber and all your amazing finds! :perfect10: :perfect10:

dalewestaby
04-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Top finds, smashed penny and the bell! AWESOME

CODY
04-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Your always coming up with the good stuff Tony. That Barber quarter, :wow: :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:. How I would love to find one in that shape. Fantastic finds. :congrats:

skribnod
04-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Grats Tony on that Barber thumbsup01, I hope to find one someday. Looking like a great year for you!

z118
04-07-2013, 06:51 PM
I would give my left arm for a Barber quarter like that... and my right arm. And maybe a leg. WOW! Congrats on an amazing hunt :envious: :envious: :envious:

JdsCoins
04-07-2013, 10:47 PM
WOW Tony :loveit:

Hard to believe you were still able to pull out all that oldie goodness out of the same place! I still remember watching your hunts from there last year. :)

That semi-key barber quarter is an incredible find! And in what I would say F12 or better grade which makes it even more rare :drool:

jkress
04-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Once again... Fantastic hunting Tony!!!!! <:

T-CP continues to give you some great keepers. :clapping: Congrats on squeaking more from the ground.

The '93 S is a true beauty. :smitten: Gorgeous condition.

When I got my hole opened up to about 8 deep the target probe was giving me a perfect 11-47 signal at the bottom of the hole.

There is nothing better than when the X-1 sings at this depth. :peace:

Ill Digger
04-08-2013, 12:29 AM
:shocked01: Man! 8/ I can't even keep up with all the good stuff you've been findin! :twirlingeyes:
And this is from a place you've pounded? ::huh:: I'd say keep pounding it then! :yes: lol
Wow! :wow: What a hunt! :envious: Just a couple of those in one hunt would be special.... but all in one is outstanding!! :perfect10:
Congrats!! :grin:
Specially on the Barber Q thumbsup01
Don't ya love the ones on the way back to the car? :daydream: :yes:

Full Metal Digger
04-09-2013, 07:30 PM
That is a beautiful assortment of old coins Tony! A little bit of everything in that pile. Congrats and I hope you find lots more. I hope we can get together soon. HH, Dave.

Tony Two-Cent
04-10-2013, 11:13 AM
That is a beautiful assortment of old coins Tony! A little bit of everything in that pile. Congrats and I hope you find lots more. I hope we can get together soon. HH, Dave.

Thanks, Dave! It's good to see a post from you and I hope that things are getting back to normal for you and your family. I'm sure that we will get together for some detecting before too long. You know me, I'm pretty much available any time.

Tony Two-Cent
04-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Video of the hunt if anyone is interested:

Beautiful 1893-S Barber Quarter found Metal Detecting plus Indian Heads + more (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDzLqRj0Lyg#ws)

CTDirtFisher
04-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Tony... Great to see a bunch of keepers still coming out of Two Cent Park... Quarters, Semi-Key Nice Barber, Merc, Indians, V, and a bunch of Wheaties...

Does a Saturday get any better :huh: <:

:congrats:

JTGOLD
04-10-2013, 12:12 PM
great hunt Tony and a very nice barber,wtg.

Fire Fighter 43
04-10-2013, 04:02 PM
WTG Tony that quarter is a beauty, congrats on the nice digs