PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Weekend - Little Bit of Everything

z118
04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Lots of digging this weekend!

Friday evening I got out after work and hit a local spot for the third evening in a row. I figured I was pushing my luck but the two previous hunts had given up many wheats so it seemed worth a shot. It was a slow hunt and the wheats seemed to have dried up as I only dug two along with some older nickels over about two hours - although I did also get two old play dimes. As I was heading back to my car I got a nasty tone but upon double checking it there was a real sweet sound to one side. It proved to be a '56 quarter a few inches away from a rusty can top. I wonder how many times I passed that over before? That made my night!

Saturday I hit an older park in the city where I scored a half dozen silvers in my two first hunts there last fall. I was optimistic there was still more there. Surprisingly the ground was still frozen in spots. I fought the weeds and brush for a few hours and scored 5 wheats (including a 1910, and 1917) and a '46 nickel. No silver though. I moved into some more open areas where I dug the eagle button and later on 3 lead soldiers, only one of which is almost intact. The base reads copyright 15, 6, 1906. I was pretty happy with that little fellow and he took most of the sting out of the lack of silver.

Sunday I did not get out until the afternoon. I headed to a school where I had a little bit of luck a the end of last season. Things started slowly which is good because I started digging just about everything. A nice sounding 12-8 signal turned out to be a badly mangled, likely gold ring. It is not stamped though. I will have to get this tested. I'm guessing it's gold but who knows. Shortly after I dug a nice silver ring. At that point I was feeling pretty good, but then hordes of kids showed up for baseball practice. I moved to a different section of the field to avoid them and sure enough started hitting wheats. I dug 6 of them before the spot became too crowded, so I took my leave.

I had a bit of time left so I stopped at one of my old favorite spots (a school). I'm not sure how I am having this kind of luck, but in about an hour I pulled two wheats, a Buff, and two silver Rosies. Needless to say, I was more than pleased.

Total for the weekend was 195 coins which includes the 3 silvers, 15 wheats, 5 older Jefferson nickels, and one Buff. Throw in the two rings and the lead soldier and I'm pleased as punch. There a mess of other trinkets and whatsits in there too. Not too sure about the one item that looks kind of like a latch; I posted some close ups in the what is it? folder.

Happy hunting!

aloldstuff
04-07-2013, 05:30 PM
You sure did a whole lot of digging this weekend. :congrats: on the silvers and that gold ring does look like gold, where it is nicked it looks like gold.

leslie(nova scotia)
04-07-2013, 05:52 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....
indeed a good one. Congrats! <;)

skribnod
04-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Wow :congrats: . That must have worn your digging tool down a little with all those finds!
Love the gold and silver .

jkress
04-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Wow... I'd definitely say, Little Bit of Everything! <:

Congrats on a fantastic weekend of hunting Z. :beerbuddy: Love the Washington and especially the 'likely' gold. :smitten:

Great keepers all around.

bob_e99
04-08-2013, 08:56 AM
:congrats: on your continued good hunts. It's neat when you pull up a little of everything with the silver. It's too bad about the broken soldiers but a nice find in any case.

It must have been tough going one day without finding silver lol

Keep it swinging and good luck. :crossfingers:

skribnodsister
04-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Oh WOW, awesome Hunt! :perfect10: Those are some pretty cool rings! Congrats! :perfect10:

Cheap Thrills
04-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Now THAT'S a weekend !!! Smoking finds !!! Nice presentation of story and pictures . :perfect10:

CODY
04-10-2013, 03:16 AM
Very nice finds. :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
04-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Fantastic digs, Matt! Wow, that is a LOT of digging! :shocked04: thumbsup01

Awesome coins and jewelry, I love the gold ring! But I think my favorites are the lead soldiers. I love that kind of stuff, old toys that are nearly 100 years old. Interesting that the whole one appears to be British. Very cool!

:congrats: