PDA

View Full Version : Another First, Franklin!

CODY
04-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Man, has this been a year for first. Everyone seems to be scoring. I found my first 1800 coin, and my first Barber quarter. And now this. I found this 1964 Rosie this last Monday morning about 1:00 AM. Was at work and took my usual 30 lunch at my favorite spot. Found a couple of clad and the Rosie. This makes #26 Silver from this same place.
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]
Then today I had two properties to hunt. Both houses built in the 20 to 30's. First place, nothing except 9 mem. pennies. The second place, some clad, and this. My first Franklin Half. 1963-D.
[attachimg=3][attachimg=4][attachimg=5]
Also a couple of Wheats. Found these two token things. One a horse shoe lucky pendant, without the wheat penny, And some kind of I think game piece. On one side it has You always win with Adams Motor Graders. Notice the little bump there right under Adams? On the other side, you can see what it says with the words You Pay on an arrow. The thing spins on that little bump. Might go to some kind of game or something.
[attachimg=6][attachimg=7]
Anyway, Hope the first keep coming for everyone. I sure am enjoying mine. Thanks for looking and HH.

aloldstuff
04-10-2013, 04:43 AM
Cody,

Huge :congrats: on that Franklin 1/2. I have been dying to get one of those. Nice tokens, I wonder if the one with the bump was a gambling token?

POKIE73
04-10-2013, 06:11 AM
great finds cody do you know i have never found a franklin but my 12 year old grandson did congrats on a great hunt i also like them tokens dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

CTDirtFisher
04-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Cody,

Great find !! Not to many Franklins come out of the ground but any day with a half dollar in the ground is a :happy: day !!

Respectfully,
CtDirtFisher

Tony Two-Cent
04-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Huge congrats on the awesome Franklin Half Dollar, Cody! Add me to the list of people who have never found one. Maybe someday.

Too bad the lucky penny is missing from that aluminum token, but it's still a neat find.

Those spinner tokens were popular in the late 1930s and early 1940s. You just spun them on the tip of a pencil. I found one in an old school yard one time that has Captain Midnight on it. Do a Google image search for spinner token and you will see a bunch of them.

:congrats:

CODY
04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks Tony. After looking, I found a ton of them on the net. Found some on ebay. Heres a picture of one.[attachimg=1]

Sal66
04-10-2013, 03:49 PM
:congrats: Nice Half ! I love the Franklin's and have several in Mint State FBL . Cody, What were the other items for? Marketing items or Advertising tools since they didn't have magazines and Commercials like today. That's funny how you said the one with a bump being a game piece. I bet they spun it and it gave you a discount depending on what number it landed on . Very smart and fun for the customer . I once found a mileage token that told you when to have your car serviced for an oil change. I'll have to find it and re-post it. They were very clever when it came to advertising in the 1800's and 1900''s before Televisions came out. Even then there were very little commercials, not like today.
Congrat's again !!!

Fire Fighter 43
04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
WTG Cody!! A big :congrats: on another first, you are on a roll.

Ill Digger
04-11-2013, 01:45 AM
:wow: Sweet finds Cody!
Congrats on the firsts! :grin:
:envious: I too have yet to unearth a Franklin half :drool:
But I really dig the tokens! The spinner one is cool and the horseshoe one for a wheat penny is really cool too!!
I can't make out what the horseshoe one says.... :confused: What does it say? :-> lol

PL8MAN
04-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Sweet big silver ! thumbsup01

Atokad
04-12-2013, 02:25 AM
I think it says Keep Me and Never Go Broke Ill

congrats on the big silver! I can only imagine haha :envious:

starman2
04-12-2013, 02:12 PM
:wow: :congrats: on the Franklin! I :daydream: of finding my first Silver Half! WTG on an awesome hunt!! |:cheering: :happy: