PDA

View Full Version : Anyone find one of these?

sjv
04-21-2010, 07:30 AM
This is a shipwreck coin and I was wondering if anyone ever found one in the ground?

Geekwinkle
04-21-2010, 08:03 AM
I know it's a 'New York' penny, the VOC on it is the logo of the Dutch East India company and Dutch currency was used over here dating back to the early 1600's. Never have found one (and wouldn't necessarily expect to in Indiana) but it's a neat coin!

ProPointer
04-25-2010, 05:31 PM
:twirlingeyes:

That's pretty cool.... Never seen one of those before.

coinnut
04-25-2010, 06:04 PM
I know it's a 'New York' penny, the VOC on it is the logo of the Dutch East India company and Dutch currency was used over here dating back to the early 1600's. Never have found one (and wouldn't necessarily expect to in Indiana) but it's a neat coin!

Yep, a lot of those were minted, but I have yet to find one. who knows, one of my slug coppers may have been one. lol

Beefcake
04-25-2010, 10:57 PM
A shipwreck coin in the ground.... made for some rough sailing I'd imagine...lol

del
04-26-2010, 02:40 AM
i've seen a few dug by detectorist in the last couple of years

A shipwreck coin in the ground.... made for some rough sailing I'd imagine...lol

lol lol probably the great , great , great grandfather to the Exxon valdez's captain lol lol

sjv
04-27-2010, 09:43 PM
:bop: No Beefcake I bought it from a coin dealer. Has paper work. I think it's from the El Cazador wreck . Also I bought a 2 Reale slabbed by pcgs from the same company. It's preety cool cuz it comes with a booklet that explains the story. So doesn't the 2 reale and a nice case. Why is it ok for shipwreck coins to be cleaned and graded and PCGS/ NGC won't grade dug coins?

Here's the back of the VOC coin (not as good as the front,isn't that always the case?) And the back of the 2 reale, Can't locate the front side pic just yet.

coinnut
04-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Why is it ok for shipwreck coins to be cleaned and graded and PCGS/ NGC won't grade dug coins?

The shipwreck coins are sorta a proven thing. A dug coin can actually be a modern reproduction that is pitted to look like the original thing. When a coin is damaged by the soil, it takes away valuable information that is used to authenticate a coin. In other words, I can make (well not me personally lol) a 1793 flowing hair large cent and pit it and have it slabbed, be it a low grade, and sell it for some big bucks. They do not want to put their name on it unless there is enough of the coin to make sure it's not a fake. Those that they do slab, they are pretty sure it's original.

sjv
04-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Not only that but do you notice very large companies have them graded with NGC/ PCGS like the home shopping shows. I think some of it is money talks and detectorists walk. lol lol Also they are able to clean their coins and if we do it depreciates the value. :mad: