PDA

View Full Version : First finds of the year ! Coins and Relics

Sal66
04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
<: Yesterday was such a beautiful day, I had to get out for a couple hours while my teenage son was sleeping and it was well worth it. Things started off slow with a lot of junk signals in the cornfield I was in . I think my machine needs some adjusting unless there's a lot of fertilizer and iron in the ground I didn't post a IH I found because I couldn't get a good enough picturebut it looks like 1870 something. It's a Coin that you have to look at without a loop as strange as that seems . I also found a Horseshoe, 1916 Barber Dime, a Skeleton key, A medal I found a while ago that's in Italian. I thought maybe someone could read it for me. I know a little Italian( named Mario: LOL) and I know it has something to do with maybe an Italian Club. There are two points where a loop was so I know it was worn as a necklace. The back is plain.

aloldstuff
04-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Sal, glad to see you were able to get out and have some swing time. Love the Barber.

Does the skeleton key have a hollow end, might be a clock key. Hope we can get together for a hunt this year.

:congrats: on the finds

CODY
04-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Great finds. Congrats. Also love the Barber!

Fire Fighter 43
04-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Very nice Sal, a great start to the year. |:cheering:

skribnodsister
04-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Nice hunt Sal! Glad to see you finally made it out. Very nice Barber Dime! Congrats :peace:

Sal66
04-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Thanks guys! I scrubbed the horseshoe with a metal brush and slapped a coat of primer on it to stop it from further rusting. The barber was found around the same area I found a 1912 a few years back before it was a cornfield but this one was only 4 inches deep and the other was 8 inches. I'm hoping now that the ground has been turned over I might just find something from the 1800's since there use to be a house there back then. Anyone read Italian ? I want to know what it says on the medal. I think it's some kind of merit medal from the early 1900's.There were a lot of Italian immigrants in my town back then and several clubs as well. Also, the key is about 1 1/2 inches long and close off at the end.

Tony Two-Cent
04-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Nice finds, Sal! I'm glad that you were able to get out for a hunt and find some good coins and relics!

I think the medal says Chapel South of Italy.

del
04-11-2013, 11:28 AM
nice barber and key Sal

Ytcoinshooter
04-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Great start! Great day anytime.