PDA

View Full Version : Buttons Question

Sal66
04-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Ok this may seems stupid coming from a seasoned Metal Detectorist but why is it that there are so many buttons found ?? I realize that everything they wore in the 19th/ 18th Century had buttons on them and plenty of them. What I don't understand is why were so many lost. Were their sewing methods inferior or was it that they sometimes just pinned their buttons back on rather then take the time to sew it back in a new spot slightly away from the old spot because re-sewing didn't help .
The other thing I've wondered about is that experts claims that these GW Buttons are very rare, but you see some guys did sometimes 2 in one year. Does that sound rare. I think there numbers are off. That is just this website. Think about all the other websites. I think the ones that are very rare are the Political ones made while he was running for office and needed money for his campaign and the Inaugural ones that many worn while he was sworn in. I think there were a bunch more made after he became President called Commemorative Buttons that were made in larger numbers that common people could afford.
Maybe I'm wrong so if someone know more please help out and let me know why so many keep popping up, not to mention the many in private collections.