PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Identifying a date On a Coin

Sal66
04-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Last week I said I found a IH that I had trouble getting a good Pic of, well I finally cleaned up the most I want to before it gets worse. It's ONE of the worst Indian Heads I've found to date but It's definitely an 187?
Can anyone see what the last number is ? It looks like either a 1873 from the picture but in hand it appears to be a 1870. If it was a 3, wouldn't it be to small because it looks half the size of the 7. ?? I think I'm going to try the tracing trick and see if it works, that if I can find some tissue paper from presents . Any help will be appreciated .
Thanks. :thinkingabout:

rsarge1
04-13-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm thinking 1903 but it's hard to tell

Tony Two-Cent
04-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Definitely looks like 1870 to me. :yes:

Sal66
04-13-2013, 04:42 PM
:congrats: Tony it's definitely a 1870 . I used a magnifying glass and had my wife nd son look at it and they both said 1870. That make me happier now and it's a Bold N on the ONE on back. They made a bold ONE and a shallow ONE . I guess I have my first 1800's Coin from that Cornfield. Now all I need now Tony is a 2center rofl. I really could use my 1st seated Coin in 11years. Imagine that, I never found a seated coin or a Standing Liberty or Walking Liberty.

Skamaniac
04-14-2013, 02:18 PM
One of the things I've done to help pull out dates or other details on some relics is to upload a photo of it to a photo retouching site like Phyxr, then play with the colors and contrast. Usually just inverting the colors makes things more visible.

However, I've also just asked my 16 year old who glances at it, easily reads it, then walks away mumbling about old people.