PDA

View Full Version : Sweet!...My first button!

DIGGER27
04-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Found this last week, a total surprise since I was at a park just looking for jewelry.
This park is not really old, but the land was a farm for a long time like most areas around here.

There is a big mound next to a picnic pavilion I was walking by heading to a soccer field and I was swinging along the way.
I think this is a natural mound and has been there awhile because there are a few pretty big trees on top of it.
Got a zinc signal, dug it and got this button that was only between 1 and 2 inches deep.
Didn't think much of it at the time, thought it was just a modern coat button but that shank had me thinking.

When I got home and did a little research I got real excited.
This appears to be an officers coat cuff button dated back to the civil war and get this...
It is from the New York Militia!

I live in Kansas so even though buttons like these are readily found in the east, here they seem to be pretty rare, and one that came all the way from New York is amazing to me!

Lots of manufacturers made buttons like this, but after some cleaning I believe I see Extra Quality on the back and that plus the little nuances in the details on the front I have come to the conclusion that this one was made around 1860 or so.
Definitely civil war era and not after.

I planned on trying to find some relics this hunting season but this one came as a big surprise.
The next hunt is going to be right back there at that same large mound in that park.
Who knows what else is hiding in that thing.

aloldstuff
04-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Never know what you're gonna dig up......that is one nice looking button. Hope you can find some more at the mound

:congrats:

del
04-13-2013, 10:22 AM
wow great looking button Digger27 . :smitten: an officer's button and its pretty uncommon to find them not pushed in by frost heaves or split apart. yours is probably from a veteran who survived the war and came out west for a new start and amongst his belongings was his New York Federal uniform . congrats :congrats:

DIGGER27
04-13-2013, 10:24 AM
wow great looking button Digger27 . :smitten: an officer's button and its pretty uncommon to find them not pushed in by frost heaves or split apart. yours is probably from a veteran who survived the war and came out west for a new start and amongst his belongings was his New York Federal uniform . congrats :congrats:

That makes sense...could have happened that way.

del
04-13-2013, 10:38 AM
That makes sense...could have happened that way.

we find them up here pretty commonly where there was no fighting up in these parts either , if the button could only tell us what it saw for the last 148 years

Fire Fighter 43
04-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Cool button and congrats on a first, WTG |:cheering:

leslie(nova scotia)
04-13-2013, 05:05 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....nice one with some guild left. <;)

CTDirtFisher
04-14-2013, 06:21 AM
:wow: Amazing button !!

I'm sure you are proud to have that in your collection...

OxShoeDrew
04-14-2013, 08:24 AM
:congrats: Thanks for the nice pics too. |:cheering:

Sal66
04-14-2013, 08:44 AM
:congrats: Nice Button ! I personally would use some Renaissance Wax Polish on it to prevent it from corroding now that it's exposed to the air and it may also take off some of the dirt so you can see the words. I use it a lot and it works great, especially on Copper items.

CODY
04-14-2013, 11:05 AM
WOW, Great button, :congrats:

DIGGER27
04-15-2013, 05:43 PM
:congrats: Nice Button ! I personally would use some Renaissance Wax Polish on it to prevent it from corroding now that it's exposed to the air and it may also take off some of the dirt so you can see the words. I use it a lot and it works great, especially on Copper items.

Thanks for the tip!

Tony Two-Cent
04-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Wow, what a beautiful button! :loveit:

That's a sweet find! :clapping:

Robbie
04-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Nice find,Here`s a pic of one that I found last year. :congrats:

drew73
04-28-2013, 11:00 AM
sweet <: