PDA

View Full Version : big disappointment to start, and a great finish to the hunt

Hook
04-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Finally i have something post worthy other than a few rosies so far this year , this is about it for good finds so far . i hit an old park this morning, one that in the past has given up IH's, a war nic, assorted silvers and a benjy half dollar. i was checking a dirt pile from a sidewalk digout, and got a 50 cent to dollar hit. 6 inches down i see a large silver looking disc. i honestly thought it was another morgan. it wasnt . It's heavy and round, but thats as close as it gets. Its just a steel disc thats really rough on both sides.

So fast forward to hunting a new friends yard where he dug up 5 silver GW's while replacing a clay sewer line a few months ago. I picked up some assorted clad, but since the house was built in 1960, i didnt expect to find many oldies.

I was digging deep clad (fill dirt added in the middle of the yard) , so i moved to where i could see one remaining clothes line pole. Bingo!!! a 4 inch deep 1943 war nic that rang up as a deep zinc penny. The owner collects coins, and since he has no war nics, i gave this one to him.
a couple swings later, and i get a quarter/half signal about 4 inches. thats a classic mardi gras token signal on the 250. but not this time! Its a 1952 D franklin half. thats my 3rd benjy in a year and a half or so.
Thanks for looking and HH!!

the steel slug pics will be the first 2

POKIE73
04-14-2013, 05:19 AM
congrats on finding the half i have yet to find a franklin nice hunt dennis |:cheering: |:cheering:

CTDirtFisher
04-14-2013, 06:16 AM
Nice recovery... and as they say... one swing at the end of any hunt can change your day !!

:congrats:

CODY
04-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Nice finds! Those Franklins are far and few between. :congrats:

aloldstuff
04-14-2013, 12:33 PM
WOW 3 benjamins in a year and a half. Like most of us I'm still waiting for my 1st. :congrats: on your keepers and very nice that you gave the war nickle to the homeowner.

OxShoeDrew
04-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Yep, still waiting here too. You have the market cornered. :grin:

Atokad
04-14-2013, 03:44 PM
So :envious: of the war nickel!

Congrats on both finds

Hook
04-14-2013, 04:38 PM
thanks for all the replies everyone! i appreciate them a lot.

atokat..that was my 3rd war nic to dig , and the nicest i ever found. it hurt to give it up :hairpulling:

Oxshoe...i guess my area isnt old enough for a lot of walkers and barbers,etc. so the benjie's are all thats left to lose in any quantity lol. i'll swap you a franklin for a barber lol.

z118
04-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Sweet digs, those Franklin halves are a treat to find to say the least! Congrats!

Tony Two-Cent
04-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Congrats on the War Nickel and the Franklin Half Dollar! :happydance01:

Add me to the list of people who are still looking for their first Franklin.

Awesome find! |:cheering:

MIKE54
04-16-2013, 05:11 PM
nice digs...happy to report that I found 1 franklin and 1 war nickel last year in my rookie year and was both shocked and pleased

skribnod
04-16-2013, 07:19 PM
:congrats: on that franklin and war nickel. Still have the franklin on my bucket list of finds. Seems i have found a lot of the silver varities but not the franklin. :peace:

Hook
04-16-2013, 10:31 PM
thanks for the nice comments everyone! i'm shocked that with all the stuff ya'll find, a franklin is still on a lot of people's bucket list. i am truly fortunate to have 3 of em now. just keep swinging and they'll show up under your coil sooner or later! :yes:

Ill Digger
04-16-2013, 10:47 PM
:-\ Just call me Echo is guess.... lol
I too am on the hut for my first Benjamin 1/2. :envious:
Nice finds!
Congrats! :grin:
And I too commend you for giving up the war nickel to the home owner. thumbsup01

Fire Fighter 43
04-18-2013, 10:48 AM
:congrats: The Franklin is a fantastic find, very hard to come across, WTG |:cheering: