PDA

View Full Version : Great Weekend with Silver Dime Trifecta x2!

z118
04-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Another weekend of good digging!

Friday night I hunted a new wooded spot. Targets were very sparse with the exception of shotgun shells - I dug a dozen or so before getting lucky and landing a lonely wheat penny followed shortly after by a '47 dime.

Saturday was cold and wet so I figured I would give the tot lots a try. They were not very productive though, so I was back to dirt digging before long. I was in a field that I had not really paid too much attention to before. Big mistake! Long story short, I spent the next 4 hours digging like crazy and got 2 Barber dimes, 2 Mercs, 1 Rosie, 5 Buffs (2 with clear dates!) and 22 wheat pennies to show for it! Plus a neat old buckle (patented 1856) and of course some clad. I left this spot exhausted but happy. I don't dig Barbers often. The first I was CERTAIN was a deep rusty nail, but when I flipped a big, 8 deep plug and got that sweet tone in it I knew I had something good. The second Barber was the 1898 - I was pretty sure it was a wheat since it was deep and only came in around 12-42 - I think because it is so worn. Five Buffs in one hunt is a record for me. It was a good day... in fact, probably my BEST day. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Sunday I headed to a field that last weekend gave up a gold ring, a silver ring, and 5 wheats before I was chased off by hordes of baseball players. I figured there must be something else there. I may be right but I didn't find it today. I dug for about two hours but got only clad and a '55 Canadian penny to show for it. I'm still buzzing over Saturday's hunt though so the sparse finds didn't phase me a bit!

Total for the weekend was 229 coins worth $17.41 including all the silver and oldies plus a Canadian Loonie that turned up in a tot lot. I actually got out again Sunday afternoon after I took the pics of my finds and dug another few bucks in clad and a few more wheats. I'm not sure how long this good luck I'm having can continue but I sure am enjoying it while it lasts!

Happy hunting...

Hook
04-14-2013, 05:18 PM
silver dime trifectas, a herd of buffs,a ton of clad, and all worn out but happy. cant beat it!!! great digs Zman..glad you had a really good day! :perfect10: :perfect10:

Skamaniac
04-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Wow, what a great couple of digs! |:cheering:

aloldstuff
04-15-2013, 04:10 AM
It's not luck, it's all skill. You definately have been hitting the right spots. Saturdays hunt was fantastic... :perfect10:

:congrats: on all those silvers, wheats, buffs and that huge clad count. |:cheering:

bob_e99
04-15-2013, 06:37 AM
:omg: :omg:

Another fantastic hunt and the silver total just keeps climbing. That sounds like it is an exceptional site and I hope you hit it again. A hunt like that would have made my summer.

:congrats: :congrats:

I would wish you more luck but it would be like wishing snow was white.

Tony Two-Cent
04-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Wow, that's a lot of digging, Matt! But the results speak for themselves!

Two dime trifectas, that's awesome! |:cheering:

And FIVE Buffalo Nickels! :happydance01:

Yep, those silver dimes that are really worn will ring up at 12-42 on the E-Trac. They sound just like a wheat cent.

I really like that old buckle too!

Congrats on the terrific weekend! :clapping:

skribnod
04-15-2013, 08:09 AM
:wow: 229 coins! Thats enough to wear anyone out! :congrats: on the trifectas, you are having a great year, keep it up and look forward to see more post from you soon.

CODY
04-15-2013, 02:24 PM
:wow: WTG! Congrats on all your great finds. Hope that luck hangs in there for a long, long time. HH