PDA

View Full Version : Weekend cellar hole hunt*I brought home some silver and copper for dinner

Thiltzy
04-14-2013, 09:14 PM
I thought Dave would call in sick to the forum due to a bout of the Copper Flu. You don't want to catch this strand of the flu. Symptoms are excessive smoking, crankiness, and lethargic movement.

As Dave already mentioned, the ticks and black flies were out in full force. The flies were relentless, they were dive bombing into our mouths and eyes and each one of us had swarms of 20 or so flies following your every step of the way.

The Targets sure were hard to come by but I did score a few decent keepers that included an 1841 seated dime and a 177? Copper that looks to be either a King george or a Machin's mills. Maybe Dan will have better uck with an ID.

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-14-2013, 09:53 PM
i need a good 1750's standing home to redeem myself now :poke:
nice finds dude! was an adventurous weekend to say the least.we did a cellar hole tour! :goodnight:

aloldstuff
04-15-2013, 04:35 AM
Nice copper and love the seated dime. From Daves response it sound like you guys did some traveling this weekend.

del
04-15-2013, 01:28 PM
congrats on the seated dime :clapping: :clapping: and the copper :smitten: , some decent amount of buttons to :cheering: :cheering:

the copper looks like 1770 , you can't confirm that Todd??

Thiltzy
04-15-2013, 06:14 PM
congrats on the seated dime :clapping: :clapping: and the copper :smitten: , some decent amount of buttons to :cheering: :cheering:

the copper looks like 1770 , you can't confirm that Todd??
Dan, I was able to get a better look today in the sunlight. I am almost positive that it is 1777 which may be a rare Machins Mills |:cheering: What are your thoughts?

del
04-15-2013, 07:47 PM
:thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: a 1777 would make it a British regal copper or British counterfiet i believe as i don't see any Machinn Mill's with that date.

Thiltzy
04-15-2013, 08:53 PM
:thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: :thinkingabout: a 1777 would make it a British regal copper or British counterfiet i believe as i don't see any Machinn Mill's with that date.

I think it may be this one :thinkingabout:
Notice the double line above the date Dan ? And the pole points to the correct 7

Tony Two-Cent
04-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Once again, a fantastic bunch of finds, Todd! |:cheering:

I really like that big key. :yes:

I love the 1841 Seated Dime, as well as the copper. Not my area of expertise, but your ID looks to be accurate according to the description in the book. I just bought the Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American Coins last week. Kind of overwhelming, I have a lot of studying to do.

Sorry about the dang flies, but it looks like you were still able to have a successful hunt! :clapping:

:congrats:

Lodge Scent
04-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Great hunt! That is one big @&& key !

del
04-16-2013, 01:06 PM
I think it may be this one :thinkingabout:
Notice the double line above the date Dan ? And the pole points to the correct 7

after a long study on that particular variety i'd have to dissagree Todd , the key areas for me are lady liberty's hand on the staff the referenced picture one is rather large and theres a good space between and on your coin the hand seem noticeably smaller as is the space . the bust outline seems a bit off from the referenced picture as well .

Thiltzy
04-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Once again, a fantastic bunch of finds, Todd! |:cheering:

I really like that big key. :yes:

I love the 1841 Seated Dime, as well as the copper. Not my area of expertise, but your ID looks to be accurate according to the description in the book. I just bought the Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American Coins last week. Kind of overwhelming, I have a lot of studying to do.

Sorry about the dang flies, but it looks like you were still able to have a successful hunt! :clapping:

:congrats:
Thanks Tony, I believe the key is a Keg tap key :thinkingabout:

after a long study on that particular variety i'd have to dissagree Todd , the key areas for me are lady liberty's hand on the staff the referenced picture one is rather large and theres a good space between and on your coin the hand seem noticeably smaller as is the space . the bust outline seems a bit off from the referenced picture as well .
I see what you mean on the space between her hand and the staff. You have a better eye for these coins than I do. I guess i will never know for sure :dontknow:

Fire Fighter 43
04-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Nice hunt, congrats on some nice finds and the seated is :perfect10:

OxShoeDrew
04-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Good looking hunt |:cheering: ...but no mention in your text about getting a picture of Sasquatch (fifth pic)? :)

RobW
04-23-2013, 02:56 PM
no mention in your text about getting a picture of Sasquatch (fifth pic)? :)

lol lol lol....that's funny right thar..don't care who you are.....

Great digs..congrats on the Copper and seated :clapping: