PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you go Hmmmmm

Jason in Enid
11-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Well, I got out for a couple hours again today. Boy I wish this beautiful weather would hold out.
Anyway, two old house sites. First I found a ring that had me doing the happy dance after I saw 18K. Then I got it cleaned and saw base-metal and HGE (Heavy Gold Electroplate). :-\

Then I went to another site and found something odd. When I pulled it from the hole, I saw gold, and it was big. My first thought was that I found a pocket watch. Then I saw there was no stem or face. I think it's a makeup compact. I figured it was gold plated also, but here's where it gets odd. The dirt is REALLY stuck to this thing. I kept expecting to see pits, corrosion, or something indicating a plated item. (I've never dug a plated item that wasnt missing gold). I couldn't find any flaws I took a tooth pic and rubbed a spot on the back, and it's as shiny as could be under all that crud. You can see that shiny spot on the right side of the back picture.
I haven't been able to open it yet, but I don't want to force it and break it. It's currently soaking in saopy water to try and loosen some of the crud. Oh yeah, this thing was about 12 inches deep! That X1 probe is REEEAAALLLLYYYY nice! thumbsup01

Has anyone seen anything liket his before? your thoughts?

OkieDigger
11-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Definitely looks like a compact. Let's hope there's a gold coin inside it. :)

angellionel
11-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Neat finds there. I have dug up several of those types of old compacts, and they remain unopened, except for the last one I found. I was threatened with bodily harm if I didn't. :grin:

I see the X-1 is already paying off. thumbsup01

del
11-05-2009, 06:35 PM
very cool digs Jason , ya gotta see whats inside of those things . i've found a few but always nothing inside but i did get a pocket watch that had a walking liberty half dollar inside it this year.so ya just never know.

Dan

Snowy
11-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Nice diggin's! Yup. Compact.

Krom
11-05-2009, 08:03 PM
That's so true, Dan... even now-a-days. People will do the craziest things... and snappin' something that's precious to them inside a locket (etc.) is/was very common.
Does it rattle, J?

MNDigger
11-05-2009, 08:08 PM
My vote is definately compact too! Some nice digs none the less!

Islandhunter
11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Yup. I agree it's a compact...opening it is a must...I have found and old Nova Scotia large cent in one which is my only score from them other than old dried up make-up but I do open everyone of them I find.

Jason in Enid
11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
No, I can't hear or feel anything rattling inside.

Epi-hunter
11-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Nice finds, and glad the X-1 is doing well for you! :)

Be sure to always open those containers... like others said, you never know what might be in there. ;)

bmattioli
11-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I'd say a compact as well. I love the ring! Nice sweet 18K of Gold.. Congratulations!

Bruce

SeabeeRon
11-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Compact wins!! :twirlingeyes: Sweet looking ring as well! thumbsup01

coinnut
11-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Alright I'm going against the grain here ;) Found one of these with Del earlier this year. Someone says is a coin holder. I guess I have to agree since I don't know any better :grin: So a second guess is put in. What do we win if we are right? :huh:

Jason in Enid
11-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Dang, I would have to guess it's a coin holder too. Have you tried to see if the holes match a coin diameter correctly?

As for my find, it was plated. After some more cleaning, I started seeing coppery spots. So, since it was junk I decided to open it. The copper base had become brittle and it broke when I forced it, but no real loss. The only thing inside was half of the mirror. It seemed to have stayed water tight all these years, as the inside was completely clean, and looked like new.

But there's a bright side to this tale. The night threw away the broken remains of the compact, I had a dream of giving up one large fake gold item for 10 small real ones. I know not everyone believes in the power of dreams, but I've had them come true before, so there's always hope.

OkieDigger
11-07-2009, 06:52 PM
If you're going to dream, dream big. thumbsup01

Epi-hunter
11-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Alright I going against the grain here ;) Found one of these with Del earlier this year. Someone says is a coin holder. I guess I have to agree since I don't know any better :grin: So a second guess is put in. What do we win if we are right? :huh:

Okay Angel.... do you see why I insist you open these things? ;)

How many of these do you have sitting in a box somewhere that you haven't opened:huh:

Coin holder!!!

angellionel
11-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Okay Angel.... do you see why I insist you open these things? ;)

How many of these do you have sitting in a box somewhere that you haven't opened:huh:

Coin holder!!!

I'll get to them.... some day. :grin:

Okay, I will have to start looking through what I have. :)

Epi-hunter
11-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I'll get to them.... some day. :grin:

Okay, I will have to start looking through what I have. :)

No curiosity whatsoever. It's sad. :grin: