PDA

View Full Version : Grave Robbers!

fyrffytr1
04-18-2013, 09:46 PM
I heard about this on our local news earlier this week. When they catch whoever did it I hope they put them under the jail!
http://www.wistv.com/story/21982208/grave-robbers-steal-confederate-and-revolutionary-clothing-from-deceased

Atokad
04-19-2013, 08:59 AM
I wonder if these two stories are related somehow?

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=12757.0

fyrffytr1
04-19-2013, 06:41 PM
I don't think they are. The grave robbing took place this month according to the story. But, anything is possible.

del
04-19-2013, 08:01 PM
its just amazing how stupid and disrespectful some people are , not only to someone's relatives/family but to our hobby and the good people who represent it. I wish authorities would hold only those accountable and not the hobby as a whole and make examples out of them responsible.

nicklehead
04-19-2013, 09:37 PM
I agree it's stupid and disrespectful but there's no correlation to this act and detecting in the article until you imply it.

Inuendo can be harmful even with good intentions

fyrffytr1
04-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Two men have been charged in this case.
http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/crime-courts/2013-04-22/2-men-charged-burke-county-grave-robbery

ssserena
04-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Funny we talk about graves I was just detecting a park right smack next to a grave yard they are right next to each other and I got a 12-44 signal right on the fence and it was a loud bang sound,the first thing I thought was about the rules in here about detecting graveyards and I left the signal it was not technically in the grave yard but right next to the dividing fence,see what you guys are doing to me! |:cheering:I did get a 1940 wheat cent and 60 cents in clad.

CyberSage
04-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Congrats on the Wheat! Where there is wheat there is Silver. I assure you you will be rewarded for your respect to those who came before us. :yes:

Pona
05-24-2013, 05:20 AM
This story actually made some sections of the British press, It only goes to show how little respect some people have for mankind in general. I'm a great believer in Karma and would dearly love to be there when they get their share. :behave: The sad thing regarding the article I read is that it described the 2 individuals as treasure hunters and then proceeded to talk about metal detecting. >:{ I hope this was just down to the general ignorance of the reporter and nothing more.

Regarding the original story, what was the out come? were the individuals convicted and was was the sentance given?

midas
05-25-2013, 12:18 PM
I was detecting a park and a woman from the historical society approached me and suggested I detect the old graveyard to get old coins. Which I promptly did. Funny thing tho, the detector was acting all kinds of weird inside the cemetery, especially over the graves from the 1700's. Couldn't get a signal at all, just lots of noise and static and what I think were voices... When I moved outside the stone wall everything was fine.

fyrffytr1
07-27-2013, 09:14 PM
This story actually made some sections of the British press, It only goes to show how little respect some people have for mankind in general. I'm a great believer in Karma and would dearly love to be there when they get their share. :behave: The sad thing regarding the article I read is that it described the 2 individuals as treasure hunters and then proceeded to talk about metal detecting. >:{ I hope this was just down to the general ignorance of the reporter and nothing more.

Regarding the original story, what was the out come? were the individuals convicted and was was the sentance given?

Pona,
I am sorry for not getting back to you. I don't have an excuse. I just forgot! Anyway, two men were charged. Here is a link to that story.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/crime-courts/2013-04-22/2-men-charged-burke-county-grave-robbery

Pona
08-01-2013, 02:57 AM
No appologies needed :) Thanks for the link.

Not been very active on the forums or detecting the last few months, my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimers a few months back since the diagnosis the deterioration as been rapid to say the least, I'm now becoming a reluctant expert at dealing with this illness.

Thanks again for the link. :)

fyrffytr1
08-01-2013, 10:14 PM
No appologies needed :) Thanks for the link.

Not been very active on the forums or detecting the last few months, my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimers a few months back since the diagnosis the deterioration as been rapid to say the least, I'm now becoming a reluctant expert at dealing with this illness.

Thanks again for the link. :)

We are going through the same thing with my wife's mother. She has no short term memory but can recall her first and second weddings in great detail. She's been in a nursing home for almost a year now.

Pona
08-02-2013, 02:31 AM
Thanks for that fyrffytr1, My Dad (who is now 87) rang us last night to say he needed us to go round because he really needed some help with Mom. He actually turned round to me and said he thought it would be a good move to get her into a home where she could be looked after 24/7
This was music to my ears in one respect but at the same time i feel like as her son I have kind of failed her by going down this route. I'm glad he has come to this desicion as my wife and I always said the desicion had to be his.
My mom too can not remember things that happened mins/hours days ago but will recall events that happened 20, 30, or 40 years ago its a really wierd illness. At this moment in time I'm one of 3 people, I'm either me, my Uncle or some guy called Paul??whoever he is or was:cheesysmile:

coinnut
08-04-2013, 06:28 PM
My mom is reaching that stage. She asked us where her bedroom is :shocked01: Other times she is better, but you can tell she is on her way. The only answer is to care for them as long as you can and then some 24/7 is the only answer. I wish you and your folks well.

tanacat
08-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Thanks for that fyrffytr1, My Dad (who is now 87) rang us last night to say he needed us to go round because he really needed some help with Mom. He actually turned round to me and said he thought it would be a good move to get her into a home where she could be looked after 24/7
This was music to my ears in one respect but at the same time i feel like as her son I have kind of failed her by going down this route. I'm glad he has come to this desicion as my wife and I always said the desicion had to be his.
My mom too can not remember things that happened mins/hours days ago but will recall events that happened 20, 30, or 40 years ago its a really wierd illness. At this moment in time I'm one of 3 people, I'm either me, my Uncle or some guy called Paul??whoever he is or was:cheesysmile:

My mom is reaching that stage. She asked us where her bedroom is :shocked01: Other times she is better, but you can tell she is on her way. The only answer is to care for them as long as you can and then some 24/7 is the only answer. I wish you and your folks well.

I've had experience with Alzheimers recently, my father-in-law and my grandfather. It is baffling and disheartening to witness the progression.

So my heart goes out to both of you... Our family joined a support group which really helped :yes: