PDA

View Full Version : Hello

assassin_chad_23
04-21-2013, 01:30 AM
Hello every one :) So i bought my first detector and its an old one lol... a radio shack 63-3006 for $39.. It may be old but it seems to work pretty well though i cant figure out the fine tuning.. I leave it in vlf mode and set the ground and dig every thing that it beeps on lol... Went to the state park that was closed for the winter friday and found about 30 tabs, 10+ bottle caps, 3 OLD water pipes (at over foot deep) and one canadian dime... Most of the items were 2-3 the dime was at 6 and barely registered.

Oh yeah im was meaning to introduce myself... lol Im Chade I live in northern Vt. I have always wanted to get into detecting and have got into gold panning... i have a lot of old places around that i can get permission for with ease. I am going to a house a brother mason has owned since the early 70's and has never had any one detect his yard... the house was built in 1840 and his property borders the old saloon they use to tie up the horses in his yard :) so i figured this would be a GREAT place to start!

I also have one question... This old detector i got seems to be pretty decent it has a ground balance control which seems to only be available on more expensive detectors. as well as tune.. sensitivity... and discretion... I have done a test with some black sands that i have yet to seperate the cold dust from and it registers the dust... I also took it to a spot i suspected would be good and the river i panned the first spot it sounded on and found flake... so it seems to be a help with panning but will this beable to find the old coins that i would love to see?? and would getting an F2 be a good upgrade?

Fire Fighter 43
04-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the forum and the Hobby from SE Wisconsin. I'm not familiar with your detector so I can not answer your questions. I'm not sure how old it is but there have been some changes in technology over the years. If you feel you will stick with the hobby then I would suggest purchasing the best new detector you can afford. You would then have the advantage of the newest technology along with a wealth of information form the internet on how to optimize its performance. Good luck and Happy hunting.

del
04-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum :waving: , the older , analog and pulse induction type detectors still use a manual ground balance but most new technology has automatic ground tracking and ground balance. i'm not familiar with your detector model either but it sounds like your getting pretty good results and in my book if your finding things , thats all that really matters . :yes: now there are specialty detectors used just for finding the smallest of gold flakes and if your really into that sort of detecting its something to check out in the future.Good luck and i hope to see some shiney stuff in your next post ;)

Dan

OxShoeDrew
04-21-2013, 02:08 PM
The two posters above know tons more than I'll ever hope to know but I think you've already hit on upon an important ingredient. The site is as important as the machine. I'd like to have a crack at that 1840s site with a cell phone metal detector app lol
I LOVE your state and plan to retire there. I am very fond of my Vermont state copper I found last summer. Who else puts beautiful countryside on their coins? :smitten:
Welcome to the forum :waving:

aloldstuff
04-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Welcome from western MA. Great advise given so far. Looking forward to your future posts and possibly your purchase of a new detector.

Tony Two-Cent
04-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Glad you found us here and decided to join, Chad! |:cheering:

Lots of history there in Vermont, I wish I had such potential for great sites to hunt here in Illinois!

assassin_chad_23
04-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Well i got a new detector coming Thanks to this forum! I decided to buy the Fisher F4 that Cody had for sale :) I should see it by this weekend and hope to do some searching! I also found another potential site... Just after the Civil war the confederates robbed a local bank just after a cattle auction. Rumor has it that the gold only made it about a mile from canada on my buddies property. So i think i might have to do some looking there. I am studying old pictures and new aerial photos to try and figure out the best place to start... Maybe this weekend i will find something shinny to post picks of :)

Skamaniac
04-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Greetings from the west coast. It sounds like you've got some great places to hunt; good luck out there! Please keep us posted.

Mudder
05-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Welcome from South Mississippi. Just wanted to wish you good luck and I'm looking forward to your future posts. :waving:

coinnut
05-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Welcome aboard. I would recommend setting the discriminator to reject nails. Just pick the solid targets the first time through. You can always go back and hit the iffy sounding targets when you get used to the machine. Good luck and tell us how you did.