PDA

View Full Version : This past weekend

pulltabsteve
04-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Its been a pretty busy weekend around here, didn't get out to do much detecting. Mike and I did get out to a friends house who recently purchased the home. It was built in 1841 but it was moved to the present location in 1880- 1900. I brought my backup prizm 2, pinpointer and an extra lesche because my friends 2 kids wanted to try metal detecting. Mike and I gave a little lesson to the 8 and 11 year olds and sent them on there way :yes: They were digging coins and pinpointing pretty good in a matter of minutes! |:cheering: No old coins this time but we all had fun.

Sunday morning before sun up I headed over to my favorite old park. I usually dig everything at this place because of its history. I dug something at 4 that looks like it could be a KG copper. Its the right size and thin but it came in as a solid 12-1:eyebrow: A 26 VDI on the M6. Weird isn't it?

del
04-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Steve my first ever King George copper rang up as a very low shotgun shell (almost in the pulltab area of the vdi). it was a very debased counterfiet i've found about a half a dozen since then . got any pictures ??

OxShoeDrew
04-23-2013, 04:30 AM
The kids must have been excited to dig coins on their first try.
On my machine 12 to 18 vdi are nails. That coin couldn't have been in the nail range or you wouldn't have dug it. Is that, like Dan said, near pull tab range on your machine?
I hope you can identify it, nice job Steve.

pulltabsteve
04-23-2013, 06:01 AM
Drew, it was 12-18 on the etrac. It reads 26 on my M6. Dan, I'll post photos when I get home but it's just a copper disc... :(

Sal66
04-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Steve, nice to meet you. You said your friend's house was moved, how far away was it moved from and is the land owned by someone else or a vacant lot ? I would think that's where you would want to hunt. Dan, remember the old School House we found, only to realize it had been moved from another location so we went there and tried our luck but it was really muddy and grown in. I assume it couldn't of been moved to far away especially back in those days. Maybe a little research might help find the original location. I bet it's never been detected either because they probably filled the hole in for safety purposes. Worth a try. |:cheering: