PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

cscotthunt
04-23-2013, 10:56 AM
New to the site. Mostly just looking for information - tools, techniques, tips, etiquette, laws, etc. Planning a beach trip and I have access to a detector to play with. Just want to make sure I go about it the right way.

I'm in North Alabama and going to Fort Morgan next month. I had a detector when I was about 10 (a Zebco (?) Mustang) back around 1970. Never found anything but scrap metals. My BIL got a detector last Christmas and we searched in my backyard. Found a couple of pennies (not old) and 2 mini balls plus a handful of screws, nails, pull tabs, unidentifiable scrap.

Having a hard time finding info on detecting on Alabama beaches. Heard everything from completely illegal everywhere to don't dig at the beach at the fort at Fort Morgan.

Tony Two-Cent
04-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Hi, Scott! Welcome to the American Detectorist forum! :waving:

I wish I could help you with Alabama's beach hunting laws but that's definitely not my area of expertise. Hopefully someone else here will be able to help you.

Best of luck, and I hope that you are able to find some good stuff at the beach! thumbsup01

del
04-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum Scott , we might be able to help you out with the tools , techniques , tips , and even etiquette but the laws in your area most of us will be unfamiliar with . I would suggest contacting a local detecting club and joining , you'll meet plenty of experienced people with answers to those questions and might even meet a hunting buddy. glad you joined the forum and hope to see you posts some great finds soon.

Dan

OxShoeDrew
04-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the forum, I guess you are looking for this,
http://www.fmdac.org/parks/parks.htm
Click on the Alabama link. Good luck to you!

lee
04-23-2013, 05:48 PM
welcome mate. you will love it here.

Fire Fighter 43
04-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

Lowjiber
04-24-2013, 05:58 AM
Welcome aboard from southern Nevada. :waving:

If you had an old Mustang and came back to the hobby, you'll find it MUCH better now with the new equipment, etc.

I had a Mustang way-back-when. I fiddled with it for several hours and finally found my Oldsmobile parked in my driveway. lol

cscotthunt
04-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks everybody. I think I'll see if there are local clubs down there or if the local chamber of commerce can point me to the right person to ask.

Just browsing through the site, I kinda feel an addiction coming on.

aloldstuff
04-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Welcome and hope you can get the answer to your question. Lots of helpful folks on board here. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

CODY
05-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Welcome from Mississippi. I think it would be a pretty good guess not to stick a shovel in the sand around Ft Morgan. Don't know about the rest of it. Good luck. Hope to see some finds and post. HH

Mudder
05-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Welcome from South Mississippi. I haven't heard anything lately, but I know that the state was looking to make the law more reasonable for detectorists. It has passed in the house, but still needs to pass the senate. Do a search for Task Force Metal Detecting to get updated information. Good luck and happy hunting. :waving:

coinnut
05-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Welcome aboard from western MA. As far as the addiction to metal detecting:huh: You have no idea how it can snag you lol Before you know it you will be detecting for 10 years. Good luck and I hope you get to hunt them beaches.