PDA

View Full Version : Silvers Indians Token & More

Bell-Two
04-25-2013, 03:11 PM
We had an interesting week of detecting. First we went back to the field where I found the Scout Fob and Merc to give it another go. I did not find much but Diane found a nice 1899 Indian Head lying on top of the ground! A couple of days later we went to another field and the only thing of note was a button. We then went out to check another site and I could see the brick in the field from the car. Since this was in another county I was not sure who owned it but had a hunch that it was the same farmer who gave us permission for a lot of his fields. A quick drive back took us back to his equipment barn to check if anyone was there and fortunately his son was. I talked to him and he told me yes they owned that field too and to “have at it”. We did not have much time left so we quickly drove back and I quickly found two wheat cents and some artifacts but after 45 minutes we had to go. So a few days later we got back to it and the farmer’s son was discing the field but had already done the area we wanted to hunt, as he made another pass close to us I asked if it was a problem and he laughed and said go ahead so we started. Within a couple of minutes I got another wheat cent a crusty 1917. Making another line I got a bouncy 12-37 which turned out to be a very nice 1904 Indian. Diane had found a wheat cent a bit earlier. I found some buttons and some neat relics when Diane called me and gave me the “silver signal” I went over and she had dug a nice 1907 Barber Dime! After a while with just more buttons I got a good 12-46 13-47 signal and I was digging it when Diane called out and said she had a token or something. I went over leaving my stuff and saw she had a copper disc with a figure of a Standing Woman and the word Libertad above her. Looked amazingly like a version of the Standing Liberty Quarter, Diane came over to see what I had and out popped a silver disk the size of a quarter. I laughed and said “Oh it is probably one of those Shell Tokens. She bent over for a closer look and said “No that is definitely a Silver Quarter. Well she was right a beautiful Standing Liberty Quarter is what it was, clear date which at first almost looked like the rare 1918 over 1917 and I could tell it had a mint mark but could not see it clearly. The 1918 over 1917 is an S mint mark. It turns out to be the a very nice semi key 1918-D. Unfortunately a couple of scrapes slight mar the finish of this Extremely Fine condition coin but nevertheless it is still a beauty and I am glad to have it!

Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/embed/N6P5wtQl8Gc (http://<iframe width=560 height=315 src=<iframe width=560 height=315 src=http://www.youtube.com/embed/N6P5wtQl8Gc frameborder=0 allowfullscreen></iframe>

CTDirtFisher
04-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Hunting With Bell-Two #113 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6P5wtQl8Gc#ws)

CTDirtFisher
04-25-2013, 03:26 PM
SLQ, Barber Dime... Indian head Penny... Relics...

That is how I'd like to spend everyday :happy:

:congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
04-25-2013, 03:32 PM
This is the report we've been waiting on! :)

You had hinted about finding an SLQ, so I was waiting for this post. Boy, it sure is a nice one! Not a common year, and it's rare to get a pre-1925 that still has a clear date! That's a wonderful find, Tony! :loveit:

Diane's Barber Dime is nice too. Not much wear on it.

Congrats on your recent success! |:cheering:

Lodge Scent
04-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Nice digs! I like that terret. I have a bunch but none shaped like that.

Ill Digger
05-02-2013, 12:49 AM
8/ Dang it! I thought I already commented to you on this thread. :blush:
You guys had a sweet trip out Tony! :perfect10:
Congrats to you and Diane!! :grin:

Gotta love those farmers! ::usaflag:: :smitten:

Thiltzy
05-03-2013, 12:51 PM
:perfect10:great hunt, the slq is in great shape. Gratz

OxShoeDrew
05-04-2013, 03:17 AM
The top left is maybe a nicely ornate rein terret? Very nice haul. :yes:

del
05-05-2013, 08:52 PM
very nice early SLQ :smitten: :smitten: and congrats to Diane's dime |:cheering: |:cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-05-2013, 09:04 PM
awesome weekend.i have yet to find a decent standing lib qtr