PDA

View Full Version : Thought it was a penny

sjv
04-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Found this annual fair coin at a baseball field. The town scraped about1-2 feet down to get better drainage. Some coins were right on the surface,some just a couple inches down. It was a great 2 day hunt until thsy started filling it back. I wonder if there's more old coins around the edges or where they made huge piles of dirt? Think so? I'll have to go back again sometime. I can't believe that they were able to get the complete Our Father on the back. By the looks of the front and the ages of the coins found, I'd say late 1800's very early 1900's.

coinnut
04-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Cool token. It makes you wonder how deep are some of them old silver coins in a park? :confused: 12, 14 20?? I would go right back to where they put the dirt back in. They scraped it and mixed it up and put it back. There must have been lots of coins in them piles that are now spread back out.

sjv
04-26-2010, 05:28 AM
Yea,but what about the top soil laying over the old dirt? That's why I figured the edges and where the piles of old dirt were dropped. Would they have hauled that away?

coinnut
04-26-2010, 05:14 PM
I thought they dug the dirt and put in gravel and put the dirt back, but that's not the case? So where ever they put that first 1-2' of dirt, is where you want to go. Ask around if it's missing and maybe they hauled it to a field somewhere.

sjv
04-27-2010, 10:25 PM
I think they hire an excavating Co. who screens it, then sells it. With this town project I'm willing to bet they used most of it again and layed down a topsoil for better grass growth seeing how it's a 2 baseball field piece of land. There is a excavating company about 5 minutes from my house. I should ask them how it works. It's also near the house they filled the cellar hole with dirt. I found wheaties right on the surface and a rusty RF badge from ww2?