PDA

View Full Version : Hunting With a Fellow American Detectorist Member! =D

JdsCoins
04-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Today me and Chuck (Atokad) met in his neck of the woods to do our first hunt together. (Which was my first non-solo hunt since I've started detecting!) I'm sure I can speak for both of us that we had a great time. :grin:

A lot of the spots we hunted ended up being so-so. So, we hunted so many spots I don't even know if I can remember them all. Wow, that's a lot of so's. Makes me hungry for general Tso's! :drool:

We hunted around a school, sports field, 2 different parks, a small 1891 home yard, 2 vacant lots of old home sites, an old church, tons of sidewalk strips. And uhh, did I cover them all? :shocked01:
We started hunting at about 9:30 AM and went til about 6:30 PM with one small break. :stretcher:

We couldn't hunt the main spot of interest because of an ongoing event at the property. So what's going to happen is he's going to go back tomorrow without me and dig a dozen silvers. :shocked04:verreaction:

But that's okay. Because I got all the lucky swings today. It was bit comical when I pulled 2 wheats out from around an old foundation at only an inch then watch him dig up a 3 clad dime in the same spot. rofl

And it doesn't stop there! I also dug my merc at only an inch down off a sidewalk strip about the same time he dug a deeper 1959 memorial. :hysterical:

So Chuck, if you hit the motherload tomorrow at the spot You deserve it. thumbsup01

My finds included $4.73 in clad, 1 mercury dime, 7 wheats (oldest 1920), a modern token & a small copper locket.

Also if anyone knows, in the first picture on the far right is an old door lever that I dug. The kicker is It's made out of lead. I have never seen one made of lead before, so I was wondering if there's an estimated age?

Happy hunting everyone! :detecting:

Atokad
04-27-2013, 12:14 AM
I had a blast today JD. That Merc cleaned up nice! Its in way better shape than I thought it was going to be. I ended up with $2 even in clad. It's a shame you couldn't share some of those wheats at least =D I'll put up some pics of those Eternit things tomorrow hopefully someone can ID them. I went to clean the copper pendant and almost all the plating went down the drain 8/

I will be in your area on the 6th so we will have to set something up for sure. As for the school we tried to hunt - rain for the next 3 days here so its gonna have to wait some more haha

I appreciate you taking the time to drive down and hunt I think that I learned a lot about my ATP today that would have taken a while on my own. Looking forward to doing it again soon!
Did you ever open the locket? Curious if there was an inscription in it or maybe even a photo. Also... I can still hear that e-trac hum in my head :hysterical:

aloldstuff
04-27-2013, 04:05 AM
Your hunt with Atokad sounds like some of RobW's and myselfs hunts. Most times we are pretty even but somtimes the keepers only go to one person. :congrats: on your merc and pile of wheats.

JdsCoins
04-27-2013, 10:05 AM
I had a blast today JD. That Merc cleaned up nice! Its in way better shape than I thought it was going to be. I ended up with $2 even in clad. It's a shame you couldn't share some of those wheats at least =D I'll put up some pics of those Eternit things tomorrow hopefully someone can ID them. I went to clean the copper pendant and almost all the plating went down the drain 8/

I will be in your area on the 6th so we will have to set something up for sure. As for the school we tried to hunt - rain for the next 3 days here so its gonna have to wait some more haha

I appreciate you taking the time to drive down and hunt I think that I learned a lot about my ATP today that would have taken a while on my own. Looking forward to doing it again soon!
Did you ever open the locket? Curious if there was an inscription in it or maybe even a photo. Also... I can still hear that e-trac hum in my head :hysterical:

Cool, the 6th is right around the corner. We'll work something out for sure. :)

It actually started raining about a half hour after I left, so our timing couldn't have been better!

Yeah, would be cool if you can get pics of the the pendant and the thing.

On the back of that token I dug it says space needle and family fun center

There was nothing in the locket. It's so tiny. I was hoping for a solid gold nugget. lol

And no joke, I heard your AT pro until the moment I fell asleep (which didn't take long :grin:) I guess new noises stick. :dontknow: Because I never hear my e-trac when I'm not swinging it. But then again that AT-pro really echoes. :hysterical:

All the wheats expect the last 2 I found at the church (the 1920 & 1941) are all from the 1,950's and all from denver. Strange! I'm sure you can tell which 2 came from the first spot. So nasty!

Atokad
04-27-2013, 02:13 PM
I tried to find the ETERNIT things on google with no luck so maybe someone else has seen them before.

The little iron disc I found has feet on it! I knew it wasn't words but I had no idea it had feet either haha

[attach=1][attach=2]

JdsCoins
04-27-2013, 08:08 PM
LOL, the feet were unexpected! lol

I can try to figure out what the eternit things are, but I'm terrible with relics. I'm learning those as a go. :)

CODY
04-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Nice finds. :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
04-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Very cool that you two were able to get together for a hunt! It's always fun meeting another member of this forum. :yes:

The little iron disc I found has feet on it! I knew it wasn't words but I had no idea it had feet either haha

Hey Chuck, I found something very similar a couple of weeks ago. I don't have a good photo of it, but you can see it in the middle right of this photo:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb174/dubbl-t/Metal%20Detecting/Relics-0406_zps8ce29fab.jpg

I assumed that it was part of a snap or button off of a jacket or pair of jeans.

Atokad
04-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Tony they look like the same thing to me. Pretty neat stuff!