PDA

View Full Version : A slow weekend but a few keepers satisfy

z118
04-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Lots of family stuff this weekend so no hunting for me on Friday or Saturday. I did have a limited window Sunday morning so I hit a sidewalk strip in a local village. These are owned by the village but maintained by the homeowners so I generally don't hunt them, however this one was between a parking lot and the street so I gave it a go. I dug 48 coins total - mostly pennies from the 60's and 70's but also two wheats and a nice good luck token.

This evening I had a few hours free so I headed to a local school for my 37th hunt at this spot. I've learned that at this spot I can dig some really iffy signals and a fair percentage of them prove to be wheats or if I'm lucky silver dimes. These are signals that I would have ignored in the past... kind of jumpy, very short, and often only picked up in one direction. Anyway, I had more good luck, landing 7 wheats, two older nickels, a small silver ring, and a sweetly worn 1917 Merc. I put a horrendous gash in the Merc though; I can hardly stand to look at it now. it was very deep and rang up a bit low for silver and I obviously wasn't being careful enough. It happens I suppose... >:\ I wound up with 43 coins total which puts me over 2,000 coins total in the 38 hunts at this spot. Silver was uncommon here in the first 30 hunts or so but in the past 4 hunts I've landed 6 silver dimes.

So kind of a slow weekends but a few keepers makes it all just right... happy hunting!

Tony Two-Cent
04-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Very respectable hunt if you ask me!

I have the same personal policy about hunting sidewalk strips in front of residences, I never hunt them without permission from the homeowner. I will occasionally hunt sidewalk strips adjacent to parking lots though, just like you.

Don't beat yourself up over scratching the Merc, it happens to the best of us. At least it wasn't a 1916-D.

I wonder what the K stands for on that good luck token? Anything on the other side?

Congrats on the finds! |:cheering:

z118
04-29-2013, 08:52 AM
I wonder what the K stands for on that good luck token? Anything on the other side?

Congrats on the finds! |:cheering:

Thanks Tony! The token is from Knott's Berry Farm in California. Looks just like the one below. It's a long way from home...

aloldstuff
04-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Nice collection of keepers you got there. The token is cool but really like the pile of wheats and the merc. Even after all the times there you are still getting the goodies.

DennisH
04-29-2013, 09:40 AM
That is a super hunt in my book. Those wheats look to be in great condition.

bob_e99
04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
:congrats:

Another nice hunt. I really enjoy hunts where you find nice keepers and a variety of interesting objects (who wouldn't?)

Nice ring and a merc ... that pretty much tops all my silver finds for the year :-\

continued good hunting