PDA

View Full Version : POSSIBLE VIRGIN SITE*2 COPPERS

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-29-2013, 05:33 PM
There's this very long old dirt rd at the end of a dead end that I have been wanting to hike down for some time now.the rd is at least 3 miles long with no homesites listed on the old maps. but looking at arials you can clearly see walls in the woods.
Todd had the day off from work and so did I.we decided to make the trek.seeing the walls about a mile in we scoured around.Todd noticed a little pile of rocks and a barely noticeable slight depression around it.
funny thing is the top rock had intitals engraved into it WD 89 ?weird :crazy:.Based on the age of the coins that came out today my guess would be 1689 or 1789?
we fired up our machines.todd hit a pewter spoon handle right off.a nice iron patch around the rocks and a few square nails confirmed a homestead :drool:
within 10 mins i had 2 coppers,then todd hit 3 in a row!
things started slowing down after that.not a huge amount of targets,alot of iron i dug.
to anyone not knowing what to look for could walk right by this.I doubt anyone has been here.no signs of any dig holes,no iron piled up anywhere.we hit it pretty hard all day but,i think a return trip would be worth it.
can't figure out what the heck this copper could be.i think the other one thats toasted is the same.
can anyone id time period and country it may be from?
i think theres enough of the bust outline showing to get an ID.King William III possibly?
thanks!

del
04-29-2013, 06:06 PM
the copper looks like a William III to me Dave

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-29-2013, 06:19 PM
thanks Dan so,this is late 1600's?

del
04-29-2013, 06:24 PM
the one coin looks like a later bust of William (1699 or 1700+ , i'm sure Patch can positively date it correctly) and they look like they have considerable wear Dave .i'd say early to mid 1700's era site unless Todd has an older shoe buckle or a sismilar coin with a lot less wear.

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-29-2013, 06:25 PM
i think todd may have 2 of these as well.the one readable coin was a KGII which may be the newest coin of the 5 dug today.i think we should pay this site another visit

del
04-29-2013, 06:26 PM
i think we should pay this site another visit

great when are we going back lol lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-29-2013, 06:32 PM
whenever you put your darn shoes on and get out :grin:

lee
04-29-2013, 07:28 PM
me, chrisinct and ctdt thought we had found a virgin cellar hole today.....looked great ,stone walls nice foundations but after an hour chuck shouts out lads ive just found some graffiti on a rock over here it says heavymetal rocks and thiltzy was ere at that point we gave up... lol.
seriously though i bet your ears where burning today lads coz all the talk was about you blokes and del and wether you lot had already hit these places :huh::huh:.
i think all us lesser mortals need you lads to put some sort of mark on a rock or somthing so we dont waste our time trying to find things that you guy have allready found :crying02:.
lads im only messing with you , you three are who us three want to grow up to be like.
you boys just rock...well done.

del
04-29-2013, 08:06 PM
whenever you put your darn shoes on and get out :grin:

lol lol i'm just messin with ya Dave , did you see a well around the area ??

lads im only messing with you , you three are who us three want to grow up to be like.
you boys just rock...well done.

Hey Lee , i'll have some time in the middle of next month or maybe sooner on a weekend . i'll get together with all you gents ,Dave and Todd are welcomed to come of course ( but i think they are in the advanced class lol lol) and give you guys an official cellar 101 hunt and show you guys what to look out for when you doing a site .

Dan

milco
04-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Cool finds! Question on all these old cellar holes, do you ever find and/or look for privies on these sites?

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Dan there were no signs of a well anywhere. ya couldn't even tell this was a homesite.milco..we are so focused on detecting it that the privy location never enters our thoughts much.that's something i'd like to get into at some point but,the thought of digging a hole 6-10 feet deep makes me cringe :shocked01:

lee
04-30-2013, 05:57 AM
lol lol i'm just messin with ya Dave , did you see a well around the area ??

Hey Lee , i'll have some time in the middle of next month or maybe sooner on a weekend . i'll get together with all you gents ,Dave and Todd are welcomed to come of course ( but i think they are in the advanced class lol lol) and give you guys an official cellar 101 hunt and show you guys what to look out for when you doing a site .

Dan

sereously ? that would be great dan , cos at the moment we just walk around aimlessly like zombies , looking at each other with open mouths and vacant looks on our faces...ha ha ha acturly just like what a zombie would look like.

del
04-30-2013, 06:10 AM
Dan there were no signs of a well anywhere. ya couldn't even tell this was a homesite.

o.k. was there a brook or stream close by( within a few hundered feet) ??

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-30-2013, 07:07 AM
o.k. was there a brook or stream close by( within a few hundered feet) ??

nope :confused: someday i'll take ya in here.there's gotta be more sites.hiking these trails we ran into more walls every direction about a half mile away and couldn't see anything else

del
04-30-2013, 12:56 PM
nope :confused: someday i'll take ya in here.there's gotta be more sites.hiking these trails we ran into more walls every direction about a half mile away and couldn't see anything else

Dave theres got to be a well or a stream or you don't have a home site , maybe you found a building or structure (shed , outbuilding , barn, ect) but not a homesite . which means the house is still out there with maybe even more coppers and relics.

ChrisinCT
04-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Nice finds.

You guys sure earn everything you find. It's a lot of effort trying to find these locations.

OxShoeDrew
04-30-2013, 05:52 PM
I've been to two holes where I didn't think Dan, George, Dave et al have been to. I can tell by the Dunkin Donuts cups lol
I bet you guys were seriously excited after the first five coppers.....its like a feeding frenzy.

Lodge Scent
04-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I've been to two holes where I didn't think Dan, George, Dave et al have been to. I can tell by the Dunkin Donuts cups lol

Aha! So that's who's been raiding into Massachusetts! I find those Dunkin Donuts cups at my sites too! lol

Nice site! More to come from there no doubt.