PDA

View Full Version : 1700's cellar hole

assassin_chad_23
04-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Today i went with a buddy about a mile in the woods to a cellar hole from the early to mid 1700's. Found a few items but no coins :( I found one thing that is like a horse shoe but VERY small more like a boot part? a plow head in great shape... and a BUNCH of thin lead guessing from roofing? and my favorite thing and old spoon that is steel.. I have pictures but i have to wait for my fried to upload them as i left the items with him we are gonna hunt the barn foundation and the rest of the 100+ acre area over the summer and try to find out more about the place. Nice part i can use his glass bead blaster to clean up the junk to see what it looks like :) I will post pics soon but i got a few questions...

What is the best way to tackle a cellar hole?

The spoon and shoe? part came from the same hole the soil in that hole was Black as oil... none of the other holes we dug up looked like this could that be an old outhouse hole?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chade

Lodge Scent
05-01-2013, 12:13 PM
What is the best way to tackle a cellar hole?

The best way is to invite all of us cellar hole hunters on all of your hunts. We won't hardly even charge you much for the education you will receive.

Dig out the trash so you can find the good stuff. Look at HeavyMetalNut's posts of his finds. He doesn't find all those great relics and coppers because he is lucky. His pile of trash is always way bigger than his pile of goodies.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-01-2013, 05:26 PM
welcome to the forum chad. thanks for the props Lodge |:cheering: sounds like you maybe dug an ox shoe.that thin tinny stuff is a headache.hate that stuff! >:{ keep workin that site,i'm sure a coin or 2 may surface |:cheering:

OxShoeDrew
05-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I agree with Dave, seems like an ox shoe. You got a nice place there. Ask away....people here know cellar holes. Glad you joined us.