PDA

View Full Version : What grade

cliff490
04-24-2010, 07:08 PM
I am still going through last years finds, looking them up in the red book and putting them in flips when I came across this nickel its a 1914 D and the F is sharp under the date LIBERTY is weak its either a VF-20 or EF-40
It's hard to get indoor pictures and it's pouring rain out right now. Maybe I should try the scanner later.

Ill Digger
04-24-2010, 07:48 PM
I would say EF-40 as far as detail go's . That's a beauty !!
I always wondered how the enviromental damage plays into a grading :confused:
Awesome find!!
Congrats :grin:

hoser
04-24-2010, 08:32 PM
I agree. There is a lot of detail still left on the coin. Awesome find. thumbsup01

coinnut
04-24-2010, 10:30 PM
I am still going through last years finds, looking them up in the red book and putting them in flips when I came across this nickel its a 1914 D and the F is sharp under the date LIBERTY is weak its either a VF-20 or EF-40
It's hard to get indoor pictures and it's pouring rain out right now. Maybe I should try the scanner later.

That probably will grade XF 40. But remember there are more grades than just what the Redbook has. I believe there are 2 or more grades for each, until you get to MS (mint state) coins. It could be in between VF and XF with a VF 35 grade. As for the Liberty being weak? If the rest of the obverse is sharp, it may just be a partial weak strike and I don't think they subtract for that. For the enviromental damage, I think they subtract 1 or 2 grades (lower) for it, depending on how bad. That buffalo is immaculate lol thumbsup01 thumbsup01