PDA

View Full Version : Detecting Cellar holes in New Hampshire

Thiltzy
05-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Last week I made a 4 day trip to New Hampshire for the Bone Hunt #20. The hunt it self is always fun but my main goal was to find some cellar holes. My friend John and I left each bone hunt early to concentrate on finding the cellar holes. Prior to the trip, I had researched some potential spots up there and luckily that researched paid off.

We were able to find 9 cellar holes in which most all of them had been hunted hard already. However, 2 of the holes in particular seemed to have little or no hunting done to them prior to John and I finding them. John did well and was able to find 5 coppers and even a flying eagle cent. I don't have pics of his digs but here are some of my finds from those cellar holes:
I believe picture # 3 might be a trigger plate, maybe some one out there might be able to verify? Thanks in advance

del
05-02-2013, 07:29 PM
hey great looking assortment of relics and coins Todd. |:cheering: |:cheering: the provincial token cleaned up very nice :smitten:

Thiltzy
05-02-2013, 07:34 PM
hey great looking assortment of relics and coins Todd. |:cheering: |:cheering: the provincial token cleaned up very nice :smitten:
Thanks Dan :) Hey Dan, can you confirm if pic 3 & 4 is a trigger plate?

OxShoeDrew
05-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Three crotal bells?? :loveit: :daydream: :envious: those things aren't easy to come by. |:cheering:

del
05-02-2013, 07:40 PM
it does indeed look like a trigger guard off an old musket but unfortunately both ends are broken off (common at the screw holes) . so telling which type of weapon will be next to impossible. is there any markings on it anywhere??

Thiltzy
05-02-2013, 08:02 PM
it does indeed look like a trigger guard off an old musket but unfortunately both ends are broken off (common at the screw holes) . so telling which type of weapon will be next to impossible. is there any markings on it anywhere??
No dan, not that I can see :-\ I cleaned it some but can't see any noticable markings other than the half circles at each end left from the original screw holes. It has nice patina

Lodge Scent
05-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Excellent finds! thumbsup01

RobW
05-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Very cool finds :cool:

What is the token? with the hole and star? :confused:

Thiltzy
05-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Very cool finds :cool:

What is the token? with the hole and star? :confused:
think it may be where the wick went through for lantern?

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-03-2013, 07:07 PM
:confused: ya didn't believe me when i told ya it was a trigger guard? :crying02: >:tongue:
awesome finds toe tap todd! :perfect10:

Elad
05-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Wow nice hunt. I've always wondered what it would be like cellar hole hunting in NH. Looks similar to down here.

Love that copper! & the cellar hole pictures. Can't get enough of those.

Thanks for sharing. :perfect10: