PDA

View Full Version : Polished bell

Rob L
05-03-2013, 07:22 PM
The bell that I got last week was scratched from trying to remove it from its grave. I polished it and put a clapper in it. Its ringing again after probably 100 years, sounds pretty good.

Ill Digger
05-04-2013, 01:15 AM
::huh:: Oh! Is that what that big hole is for? :confused: lol
I found one real similar to that one. :yes:
Yours looks great! :perfect10:
Where did you get the parts for it? Like the handle and clapper? ::huh::
That would be a cool little project to do with the boys. thumbsup01

Rob L
05-04-2013, 11:43 AM
The handle I had, but you could pick one up in a hardware store. The clapper is a steel ball with a hole in it. I took a piece of copper wire and soldered it into the hole in the ball. There was a small bolt coming out of the handle, so I drilled a hole into it to thread the wire in it. Its not perfect but it works. I put a bolt through the hole in the bell and mounted it on my drill press and used sandpaper to smoothe the bell out, then 0000 steel wool to finish it.

Sal66
05-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Hey Rob, how big is the smaller one ? Those are usually the type attached to a strap for an animal and based on the size it must of been on an ox or maybe goat or some other kind of animal . I say this because usually Crotal bells are smaller and round that are used as sleigh bells on horses . What are you thoughts ?

OxShoeDrew
05-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Nice find Rob, I'm told (I found them also) that they are castanoga bells and come in fours (two large on the outside and two small in the middle) and would hang between two horses attached to a rope. It was the horn of its day. I looked at my big one and it has the same sorta lines as your's. I'd guess they are both castanoga bells. The only problem with my hypothesis is the inside of my bell looks like it was cast solidly, without the addition of a central holder. :thinkingabout:
I am sorta sure :) that the one on the left is a castanoga.

Lodge Scent
05-05-2013, 04:28 PM
I bet that large bell sounds nice!

Rob L
05-05-2013, 08:51 PM
I think that the one on the left is also a castanoga. I've found a few of those. The one on the right ,I have no idea what it was. Maybe a school bell? But most school bells I've seen were larger.

Ill Digger
05-10-2013, 12:24 AM
The one on the right ,I have no idea what it was. Maybe a school bell? But most school bells I've seen were larger.
A bell for the servant of course. :interesting:........... lol

The handle I had, but you could pick one up in a hardware store. The clapper is a steel ball with a hole in it. I took a piece of copper wire and soldered it into the hole in the ball. There was a small bolt coming out of the handle, so I drilled a hole into it to thread the wire in it. Its not perfect but it works. I put a bolt through the hole in the bell and mounted it on my drill press and used sandpaper to smoothe the bell out, then 0000 steel wool to finish it.
A replacement handle. :thinkingabout: Hmmm :confused: For what I wonder? :dontknow:
I'll have to take a look around the hardware store. :yes: thumbsup01 lol

I'd like to see the clapper set up, if you don't mind. Gotta pic? ::huh::

I love it! :smitten: