PDA

View Full Version : What a month!

pulltabsteve
05-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Mike and I have been hitting the fields on the weekends and also pursuing new leads. In the past month we got permission to a mile long block of houses in a historic district of town including 1 very old farm. :perfect10:

Last weekend we stopped off at a farm we asked permission to detect last year but got turned down. We were driving by on Saturday and saw someone working in the barn so we decided to stop and give it another try. We pulled up and introduced ourselves and asked if we could get permission to detect the place. We told him we're big on history and we're looking for old colonial coins and relics. He was pretty amazed when we told him about some of the things we find. He said he just planted but come back in the fall and detect all you want. :perfect10: He said he just bought the place a few months ago. The previous owner, the guy who turned us down, was 95 and detected the fields his whole life.

We've also been dealing with the president of the Historic Society of a very old town for the past 2 years. This place was settled in the mid 1600s. We've been trying to get access to some private properties but he hasn't been very helpful. He has said he would rather the things stay buried... I just called again on Saturday to give another sales pitch but the Pres wasn't in so I left a message. On Sunday I'm detecting an old park in this town when someone walks over and says are you Steve? Turns out this guy is the new President, I know his wife from the park( she walks her dog and we talk about history and stuff). Now get this, he says get addresses of places we want to detect and he'll get us permission :perfect10: We can keep what we find but some things he would like us to loan the Historic Society so they can put on display.

We also recently got permission to 2 1700s houses we haven't been to yet. We have so much land to go over we may have to start selling leads... ;)

Things are going great. It seems everyone we ask for permission gives it to us. I'm not sure if its our amazing personalities or just luck. Either way, life is good!

del
05-06-2013, 03:17 PM
thats great to hear Steve and i wish you two the very best on finding the goodies . :cheering: :cheering:

OxShoeDrew
05-06-2013, 04:29 PM
He would rather the things stay buried? ::huh::
It sounds like we'll be hearing lots from you guys...go get 'em!

Sal66
05-06-2013, 11:51 PM
:congrats: See Steve, It all depends on who you ask. That guy that said he would rather see things stay in the ground probably think of you as modern day Pirates looking for gold and Gemstones . He also thinks your stealing from what's in the ground . Dan and I had some lady yell at us saying that. She kept saying we were stealing ! rofl
Sometimes they see that show with the Savage Brothers and think your gonna dig trenches and tear up the land. What do you think they do when they do when they plow ? I'm glad you finally used the Historic part of detecting, that's what got you permission as long as you hold up your end of the bargain . So, if you find a nice button or buckle then don't forget about the Museum as long as it's a loan and not for keeps.
Good Luck and hope to see lots of Pics. |:cheering: