PDA

View Full Version : What are your found-coin percentages?

danhughes
05-10-2013, 09:57 AM
When you're out coinshooting, do you find more nickels, or dimes?

Do you find more wheatback pennies, or quarters?

Do you know? Do you keep ratio records?

In this podcast, I list my percentages over the years, and some reasons as to why they are surprising sometimes.

Listen to program #123 at http://thetreasurecorner.com. (It's short - less than 4 minutes.)

z118
05-10-2013, 10:13 AM
:cheesysmile:

danhughes
05-10-2013, 10:20 AM
GREAT CHART!

Same detector all along, or did you switch machines somewhere along the way?

You should think about dividing coins into subgroups: copper/zinc penny, buffalo/jefferson nickel, etc.

I notice your trip total has dropped every year for a while - getting harder to make time to get away?

z118
05-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks! I really like spreadsheets. lol

The sheet reflects my finds overall with every detector I have used over the years...

There are a number of flaws in my categories that I would go back and fix if I could. Right now &quot:daydream:ld means pre 1959 non war Jefferson nickels, pre 1959 Canadian pennies, and wheat pennies. Very old means anything non silver older than that (Buffs, V Nicks, IH Cents, two centers, large cents). Silver is just anything silver regardless of age (even Canadian). I would definitely do a better job breaking those up if I could start over. If I get really bored I still might try since I have details of the coins in other columns not shown.

Also, I would track hours hunted vs just plain number of trips. My spreadsheet tracks everything by site and adds up the totals for each. I've also tinkered with giving each site a rating based on the number of trips and the quantity and quality of finds. The number of trips doesn't really tell the whole story though if I usually hunt for an hour at a time at one spot vs 4 hours at a time at another.

I didn't get out as much last year because of work and buying a new home. Also, each year's total hunts are a bit lower because I now tend to spend more time at each spot.

I could babble about the number for a very long time... lol Thanks for a fun post!

RobW
05-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks! I really like spreadsheets. lol

I could babble about the number for a very long time... lol Thanks for a fun post!

:shocked04:....oh my god...you are the male equivalent of my wife....she is the goddess of spreadsheets and loves them...she can totally reduce everything to a spreadsheet :crazy:

nicklehead
05-14-2013, 04:40 PM
People with spreadsheets ruined baseball. :confused:

What do you call a proctologist with a spreadsheet?